Panniers on short wheelbase bikes - heel strike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I'm fed up of food shopping using a courier bag and only have my wrongster for the job!
Just wondering if anyone has used a rack and panniers on theirs and whether there were any issues? It's the '08 model so not full on track geometry. I'm a bit concerned about heel strike with the relatively short 405mm chainstays, though I'm only a size 9 on 170mm cranks.
The rack would probably be the Topeak Super Tourist DX
9114.jpg

What do you reckon?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If it's likely to be a problem, try using front panniers on the rear rack. They are generally much narrower so should clear ok. Incidentally Ortlieb panniers have adjustable mounting rails which allow you to tilt them to clear your heels.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Joe, I use the Madison Summit, looks similar to that one and the Ortlieb Backroller Classics. I use the lower bar for hooking the panniers on, this is narrower than the available hook width. I have them set so that any overhang is positioned to the rear of the bike. So far no issues with heel strike, I have size 10 feet.

P.H

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Incidentally Ortlieb panniers have adjustable mounting rails which allow you to tilt them to clear your heels.

Not all of them - at least the Classic range have a fixed top rail.

If you haven't already got the panniers, look for some that are narrower at the bottom. Carradice are a good example in this respect.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers guys. I think I'll definitely put a rack on at least, so I can strap bulky items down etc.
Pannier wise I was gonna borrow some for my LEJOG in August but maybe I should just splash out...

P.H said:

If you haven't already got the panniers, look for some that are narrower at the bottom. Carradice are a good example in this respect.

The classic range is adjustable, just needs an allen key

e-rider

crappy member
The madison summit rack is not the best - it has strap holders that rub holes in your panniers. It's also very short which is not what you want if you have heel strike. I also suffer from heel strike with my size 46 shoes and 175 cranks. You need a long rack with 2 mounting rails.

By the way, those topeak racks are just thrown together - the weld quality is awful.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
tundragumski said:
The madison summit rack is not the best - it has strap holders that rub holes in your panniers. It's also very short which is not what you want if you have heel strike. I also suffer from heel strike with my size 46 shoes and 175 cranks. You need a long rack with 2 mounting rails.

By the way, those topeak racks are just thrown together - the weld quality is awful.

Sorry, but the bits you say rub can just be turned inwards, reversing the side used. I have size 45 shoes and 175 cranks and have had no heelstrike with the panniers. I accept that the Madison is a bit shorter than some.

P.H

Über Member
Cunobelin said:

No.
Both the Classic and Plus Rollers now use the tool less QL2 bottom fixing. You can't tilt the bags with this. The Plus also have the tilting three piece QL2 top rail, instructions here, (bottom of page)
http://www.ortlieb.com/_anleit/ql2-system.pdf

The Classic still has the one piece QL1 top rail, there is no way of tilting this, without drilling new holes in your panniers. See here;
http://www.ortlieb.com/_anleit/ql1-system.pdf

All information is easily available on the Ortlieb website.:biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Ortlieb panniers have adjustable mounting rails which allow you to tilt them to clear your heels.

The Classic still has the one piece QL1 top rail, there is no way of tilting this

You can still adjust it by moving the hooks along.

Can you tilt them? :laugh:

P.H

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
I have a pair of Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus panniers which are definitely fitted with a mechanism allowing you to tilt them to prevent heel strike.

YES
Plus tilt
Classic don't

I've not only said this several time, I've even linked to the Ortlieb instructions that demonstrate it, what more can be said?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
P.H said:
YES
Plus tilt
Classic don't

I've not only said this several time, I've even linked to the Ortlieb instructions that demonstrate it, what more can be said?
OK, OK, don't spit your dummy out. I've not had time to read through all the posts on this thread. I was merely trying to answer the OP's question quickly and succinctly.

Top Bottom