Panniers on Specialized Allez road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich_bikes

Hi all

Anyone know of any definitive guidance on attaching panniers onto Specialized Allez road bike?

Thanks
Rich

DRHysted

Guru
What do you mean exactly?

I have fitted a rear rack using an adapter that goes through the QR & a seat bracket.

Allez comes in many flavours, some have full rack mounts, others none. Sometimes the eyelets are hidden with more cunning than a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

DRHysted

Guru
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I've just popped out to the bike shed to prep the commuter for tomorrow morning so I took these pictures to give you an idea of how I did it. As you can see the weight goes through the axle, not the frame. I've had both panniers fully loaded quite a few times without any problems.
Rear wheel punctures are a little more fidley, but not a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 653

DRHysted

Guru
Wow looking at those photos, I can't believe I put her away that dirty last time I used her! Next rest days I must give her a wash.

With any short-wheelbase bike, you need to take care not to hang heavy panniers far over the rear axle. The bike gets very rear heavy, tippy on uphills and the steering becomes a bit vague.
Pick panniers with a heel cutout profile. Mount them higher up rather than back more.

EriaLopez

View attachment 120214 View attachment 120215 View attachment 120216 I've just popped out to the bike shed to prep the commuter for tomorrow morning so I took these pictures to give you an idea of how I did it. As you can see the weight goes through the axle, not the frame. I've had both panniers fully loaded quite a few times without any problems.
Rear wheel punctures are a little more fidley, but not a lot.

Hello!

I am checking your blog post. Very useful! ... I am trying to mount a pannier rack on my Allez 2015. Already found a proper (I think) seat clamp with pannier mounts, but not sure about the adapter that goes through the QR. Which one did you use? Or how should I look for it?

DRHysted

Guru
Hello!

I am checking your blog post. Very useful! ... I am trying to mount a pannier rack on my Allez 2015. Already found a proper (I think) seat clamp with pannier mounts, but not sure about the adapter that goes through the QR. Which one did you use? Or how should I look for it?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-adapter-set-for-qr-axle-mounting/

DRHysted

Guru
If overloaded the front could get a bit washy and light, this could be counter acted by putting more weight over the front. Not a problem I just had to ride with this in consideration.

Top Bottom