Panniers or saddle bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of doing a bit of touring come the better weather. Not specifically camping overnight but i might want to take a few supplies with me...food, extra clothing.tea/coffee flask etc. Not only that but i want something to carry my shopping back when i go for small amounts. Which is best, a saddle bag or panniers?
I've seen this saddle bag and i think it would be big enough for my needs.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Canva...mjFqvbvYiz3A_dBFpG2yjl0HfTEomvpGdxoCWsPw_wcB#
Do folk still use saddle bags or are panniers more practical?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm thinking of doing a bit of touring come the better weather. Not specifically camping overnight but i might want to take a few supplies with me...food, extra clothing.tea/coffee flask etc. Not only that but i want something to carry my shopping back when i go for small amounts. Which is best, a saddle bag or panniers?
I've seen this saddle bag and i think it would be big enough for my needs.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Canva...mjFqvbvYiz3A_dBFpG2yjl0HfTEomvpGdxoCWsPw_wcB#
Do folk still use saddle bags or are panniers more practical?
I use a Carradice for commuting and if I'm visiting somewhere overnight. For a tour, I think I'd fit a rack and get some panniers then if there wasn't enough space I could still fit the Carradice as well.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I thought it was about 18 inch wide and 8 inch deep?
Afraid not- it looks properly small and is for your tools/ tube/ tyre levers only. I would also be gutted to get it delivered only to find out that the buckles are fake and that it's held closed with magnets.
I have a Topeak Dyna pack which I use for commuting and odd jobs and probably would be more suitable than the above- 4 litres in size it holds plenty of stuff and is very secure on the (alu) seat post, it only leaves a small bracket when you remove it rather than a whole rack.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've just bought a single 20 ltr pannier from Planet X for less than £8 in their sale - reduced from £39.99. I think the brand is 'Cordo'. It clips on and off very easily and comes with a carrying handle and shoulder strap. It's ideal for a bit of shopping and it sits very flat on bike when not in use. I think it was recommended by @vickster in another thread.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
one (big) advantage of panniers is the ease they unclip from the bike. With a saddle bag, it is semi-fixed to the bike, so you then need another bag inside the saddle bag to keep all your stuff in and carry it into your digs.

Now if Ortlied or Carradice did a nice clip-on/clip-off saddlebag akin to their panniers, I'd be tempted.

Someone's going to post a like to such a thing now probably.

Also a full saddlebag tends to need a support of some sort so you wnd up with something like a rack anyway. My Carradice copy, saddle bag wasn't really satisfactory without such a support

EDIT - I should add that a lot of much more serious and longer distance cyclists than me do seem to favour the ubiquitous Carradice saddlebag, so I may have missed a trick somewhere

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought it was about 18 inch wide and 8 inch deep?
http://dawescycles.com/product/canvas-saddle-bag/ lists it as 190mm width and gives no volume. Comparing it to other bags in the range which give sizes as 15l and 20l, I'd say that 5 litres would be optimistic.

Now if Ortlied or Carradice did a nice clip-on/clip-off saddlebag akin to their panniers, I'd be tempted.

Someone's going to post a like to such a thing now probably.
Carradice Super C SQR?

But my solution is ye olde stylee cheap haversack with two long QR compression straps through the saddle loops/rails which get tightened to pull the bag up snug. 20 litres. I'll let you know how it goes after the first multiday tour :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
I use panniers because they are all I have. If you think a saddlebag will be big enough, I'd get one as it's more aerodynamic, lighter and neater - plus you don't need a rack. I find that if I nip to the supermarket I tend to need both panniers because, for example, toilet rolls and cereal boxes are bulky. And it's nice if the milk goes upright, just in case.

Reactions: mjr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I use a single 12.5 ltr pannier... it fits about half a basket of shopping and is ideal for trips to the shop, and for days out with butties, flask, camera and other bits and bobs. I do have larger panniers but a single Front Roller is perfect for daily use.

Top Bottom