Panniers ... single or double?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Finally getting my arse in gear and researching the different panniers out there but keep reading mixed reviews about whether to get one or two. I don't have a car - shopping trips (inc groceries) have a maximum weight limit of what I can carry whilst walking round the supermarket / town. Am I right in thinking that a load spread between a pair of panniers would be better than just one - even if it is perfectly possible to adapt one's balance?

potsy

Rambler
The panier fashion police will be after you if you have a single one only Jo :rolleyes:

Alcdrew

For many years on my hybrid bike I have had 1 single pannier on the righthand side, however now I have a cyclocross bike the balance feels all wrong with just 1 pannier, so I'm looking to getting 2 smaller ones to balance it back out. So I would say it depends on the bike!

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The panier fashion police will be after you if you have a single one only Jo :rolleyes:

I'm on their Top Ten Most Wanted list for a whole host of crimes
cool.gif

For many years on my hybrid bike I have had 1 single pannier on the righthand side, however now I have a cyclocross bike the balance feels all wrong with just 1 pannier, so I'm looking to getting 2 smaller ones to balance it back out. So I would say it depends on the bike!

So you're not the person to ask when I want some string measured? :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I usually have just one on the hybrid. Some people have pointed out that this "single-pannierism" is a perversion and an abomination, but it doesn't bother me. As others have said, you can load up a single pannier quite heavily and you still don't feel unbalanced at all. Strange that.

Dan B

Disengaged member

It's ok, the pannier fashion police rarely stray from the CTC forum

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Odd numbers of panniers are a little odd. One is tolerable. Three downright weird. I once managed five but the fifth wasn't really mine (her rack had broken and one had to do the gallant thing).

The thing with one is that it is okay if it was bought, and better still designed, to be used as a singleton. But if you buy a pair, and then just mount one of a pair, well, that is just wrong.

Now here's the thing.... does anyone ride with a mismatched pair? I have, but was very nearly blackballed by my companions for my pains, and they insisted I ride 100m behind them, and refused to acknowledge me at café stops.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Once you get a pannier you'll realise how much other stuff you could be carrying. I can assure you, you'll need two :-)

battered

Guru
Buy a pair. I generally run around town with one, the RHS one because I like to annoy motorists who want to pass too close. The other one comes in handy for shopping. I don't know how you get a decent amount of shopping into one pannier, let's be honest, a box of cereal, loaf of bread and a bag of apples and one is full already.

Top Bottom