Panniers -- Some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, it probably is worth spending a bit more for Ortlieb or Carradice gear for touring.
On the other hand, if you buy a cheaper pair you learn a little more about what you really want from panniers, regarding fastenings, external pockets, etc. before spending a lot on touring gear. Also cheaper panniers can be left on the bike for runs to the shops or days trips and it doesn't matter too much if they get damaged, dirty or stolen even.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I unhesitatingly recommend Ortlieb. However, unless you intend to go through thorny jungle, don't get the heaviest duty ones. I've got the next set down (in terms of weight) and they are just as functional, waterproof etc.

yello

Ortlieb are definitely worth it. They are a top quality product. That said, for every day use & commuting, I used a pair of Altura's I got 2nd hand. Couldn't fault them either and I didn't mind them getting mucky as hell and tatty.

Odd isn't it - you pay good money for a quality product... and only use it on special occasions! I'm the same with my assos mille bibs; they're not for daily rides, only the 3 hour plus ones!

xilios

Veteran
If you plan on touring than just go and get the Ortliebs. I first got a set of cheap AGU panniers that needed rain covers because I wasn't sure that I would like touring and din't want to spend all that money.
Now three years and several tours on, I am getting one set of Orliebs roller classics for myself and one for my wife.
Just wanted to say even if you don't like touring you can still sell them at a good price, the cheap stuff you'll end up keeping.
AGU has also come up with a new line of water proof panniers but for the money I would still go with the tried and tested Ortliebs.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm still using a pair of Halfords jobbies lined with a bin liner...never had wet clothes, so it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary to get good'uns. Having said that, next week's birthday is hopefully going to bring me ortliebs in lovely bright yellow...the unwavering recommendations I've seen for them has swayed me!!

So I guess what i'm saying is that it might be worth getting cheapies (and lining with bin bags) to start off with if you're not sure you'll like touring but then you'll probably be lured towards the good stuff :biggrin:

Bring on next Wednesday....can't wait!

domtyler

Über Member
I use my Ortliebs for commuting more than anything else, I have big ones for the back and small ones for the front. I regularly fill them to capacity and carry heavy stuff in them and they still look as good as new even though they are more than a year old now.

I think xilios made a really good point about if you wanted to sell them, the Ortliebs would go in a flash whereas I doubt if many people are searching for AGU on eBay!

Magna

Can't wait to get my Ortliebs! Anyone got the backpack adapter?

xilios

Veteran
Cathryn said:
Having said that, next week's birthday is hopefully going to bring me ortliebs in lovely bright yellow...the unwavering recommendations I've seen for them has swayed me!!
Bring on next Wednesday....can't wait!

Hey Happy birthday C. and good luck with the Ortliebs :?:. A couple of weeks ago (on my birthday) I got the Tubus cargo and tara racks, and in the next few days my wife and I will be getting our new Ortlieb roller classics ;)

yoyo

I bought Ortlieb roller classics for my new bike at Christmas and would recommend them highly. Had Agu panniers on my previous bike. They are certainly roomy but very difficult to put on/ take off the bike as their fastenings are difficult.

Yoyo

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks for all the replies. Ortliebs are obviously the mutts nuts!

Any comment on the link to wiggle and the dhp ones? They are a good few quid less.

Having said that all these comments about the Ortliebs cant be wrong ;)

bonj2

i'll sell you my panniers if you want. and rack aswell. I don't use them much more. I just don't use them that much, don't need to carry anything when commuting - I once had grand plans of making food every day and bungeeing it to the rack but it just doesn't happen - and for just riding round town i take a rucksack.

Abitrary

bonj said:
i'll sell you my panniers if you want. and rack aswell. I don't use them much more. I just don't use them that much, don't need to carry anything when commuting - I once had grand plans of making food every day and bungeeing it to the rack but it just doesn't happen - and for just riding round town i take a rucksack.

You can't bungee a coffee table upside down the the back of your rucksack

Top Bottom