Panorama, BBC1 tonight. 8.00pm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The driver speaking to cyclists saying "Just so you know, I've killed one of your lot and injured another and got away with both" was outrageous - could that footage not be used to revisit those incidents by the police?
Almost certainly not because the incidents probably don't exist.

But a Public Service Broadcaster should maybe ask DVLA if someone that delusional and/or threatening should be holding a driving licence... maybe they can contact the gentleman's doctor?

Badger_Boom

Über Member
The driver speaking to cyclists saying "Just so you know, I've killed one of your lot and injured another and got away with both" was outrageous - could that footage not be used to revisit those incidents by the police?

Perhaps, but then he's probably the type of Two-shoots Tony who tells everyone in the pub he used to be in the SAS when he actually got rejected by the local scout troop for having flat feet. I tend to take such statements of bravado with several pinches of salt.

mjr

mjr

People who tried petitioning the council to put in a protected pavement or crossing for pedestrians over a narrow busy bridge near me have been told to the effect that because nobody's been killed yet, the scheme is not given enough priority. None of us are willing to lay down our lives for this particular cause, though.
Can you argue that the discouragement of active travel means that some people have effectively been killed unnecessarily by the council's inaction?

1 in 3 motorists think cyclists should be on the road. Yet the number of cyclists are increasing day by day and their age spectrum is also well covered. I would not worry.

Its the same in many places around World such as Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore, South Africa etc

Alex321

Veteran
1 in 3 motorists think cyclists should be on the road. Yet the number of cyclists are increasing day by day and their age spectrum is also well covered. I would not worry.

Its the same in many places around World such as Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore, South Africa etc

As pointed out above, not really a proper survey at all, and zero credibility for the numbers.

tom73

Guru

boydj

Legendary Member
....... For example a quote that a particular junction in Holborn had seen "nine cyclist fatalities since 2008, 7 of which involved trucks" doesn't go into detail but that's less than one per year which is tragic for the individuals concerned but considering the traffic levels is a vanishingly low level of risk. ..................

Are you for real?

If every major junction in major cities like London had this level of risk, the number of cyclists killed would reach epidemic proportions.

That this is not the case highlights that this junction has particular dangers for cyclists which should have been addressed years ago.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Late to the party, no real desire to wade in and haven't read the rest of the thread for the sake of my blood pressure... however unsurprisingly the BBC are attempting to wring their money's worth out of this with some material posted to their website:

"Drivers and cyclists near misses caught on camera"

Kind of says it all when the thumbnail / first "near miss" is of a cyclist hitting a car that's turned across him at such speed that the bike's flung many metres into the air.. maybe a "near miss" to the knobhead driver responsible in terms of severity of outcome; presumably less-so for the cyclist who will have come off substantially worse despite in no way being at fault :rolleyes:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Are you for real?

If every major junction in major cities like London had this level of risk, the number of cyclists killed would reach epidemic proportions.

That this is not the case highlights that this junction has particular dangers for cyclists which should have been addressed years ago.

agree, it didn't list the number of non fatal injuries, but I would assume considerable. and one every other year on one stretch of tarmac is a pretty appalling tally.

Its a inherently risky as traffic coming in opposite directions both get merged into a perpendicular one way road, and inevitably then want to swap lanes etc for their next turn left or right. So approaching from the west, if you are on the inside, you turn south and end up between the two lanes of traffic, with some of the traffic coming from the east wanting to come across your path. Add to that a lorry / bus or two with less good visibility and drivers and cyclists unfamiliar with the junction.....

I have cycled round it and survived, but its not a route I would choose.

"Drivers and cyclists near misses caught on camera"

Kind of says it all when the thumbnail / first "near miss" is of a cyclist hitting a car that's turned across him at such speed that the bike's flung many metres into the air.. maybe a "near miss" to the knobhead driver responsible in terms of severity of outcome; presumably less-so for the cyclist who will have come off substantially worse despite in no way being at fault :rolleyes:

That is fuc king ridiculous; there are at least two serious impacts early on in that short film!

"near misses"?!?

Top Bottom