Panorama Now - truth about sports products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thanks, I wanted to watch that :smile:

I didnt like the write up on bbc news suggesting isotonic/sports drinks dont work though.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks, I wanted to watch that :smile:

I didnt like the write up on bbc news suggesting isotonic/sports drinks dont work though.

It's the crappy supermarket ones like lucozaide or poweraid. It's really for endurance only. Stuff like SIS and the proper stuff are the ones. Currently focusing on the cheap crap.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's the crappy supermarket ones like lucozaide or poweraid. It's really for endurance only. Stuff like SIS and the proper stuff are the ones. Currently focusing on the cheap crap.
Ive found lucozade lite (isotonic) and powerade to be as good as the SiS stuff. I use high5 on longer or hot bike rides, for running I use nothing upto an hour (like the science guy said) but if i go run a half marathon or more sweating buckets and only drinking normal water my calves cramp up and i can get nauseous and dizzy, with any isotonic drinks it doesnt happen. They were only referring to moderate exercise to be fair. The guy saying cats and dogs dont need to be told how to rehydrate, conveniently overlooks that many animals like cats and dogs dont sweat. Id agree more if they were talking about lucozade energy or redbull.

toroddf

It is better to run bare foot than with expensive trainers. OK......
COMING UP: It is better to cycle naked than with clothes on. OK.....

Joking aside, they may be up to something. I have had very good experiences with that blue Powerade and may continue with it. Maybe it is fake feelings. They most definate has a good point about over drinking as I have fallen foul of that a couple of times this year. I will amend my behaviour.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now onto the big name supplements....

Seems lots of folk don't eat properly first.

asterix

Comrade Member
I knew all that:becool:

Have only once ever bought a 'sports' drink. It made me feel ill. Normally I drink only water but if it is very hot I also pour it over my head. You don't want to do that if you have a sports drink in the bidon!

Have done 2 Raids Pyreneans wearing Lidl cycle shoes. They were fine but perhaps not as efficient as they could have been.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Seemed to me the bottom line was that some 'proper' products help if you're doing 100 miles at high speed, but most don't help at all, and none are any use at all to the vast majority of people who use them - ie, those doing an hour's workout. Perhaps the single most significant fact that came out of it was that no-one ever dies of dehydration, but quite a lot of people die from drinking too much, having fallen for the hype of sports drinks marketing.

Oh, and for those who missed it, Graham O'bree recommends jam sarnies and water.

ASC1951

Guru
Seemed to me the bottom line was that some 'proper' products help if you're doing 100 miles at high speed, but most don't help at all, and none are any use at all to the vast majority of people who use them - ie, those doing an hour's workout.
Which should not be a surprise to anyone who gives it any thought. There again, millions of people take vitamin pills despite abundant evidence that they have no effect whatsoever unless you are clinically malnourished i.e. they are a complete waste of money for those who actually buy them.

But you can't convince people of this sort of stuff. Someone will be along to say that glucosamine tablets cured their sore ankle in only ten months.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I use plain maltodextrin in my drink bottle for energy and I know it prolongs my endurance considerably.

On very hot rides I suffer cramp and this year on a 68 mile fast ride in SA I managed for the first time to avoid cramp by adding a lot of fizzy electrolyte tabs to my water and stopping for Coke at several feed stations. So it works for me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Everybody's looking for the magic potion that will make them stronger and faster and the manufacturers take full advantage of this. One of the reasons I stopped doing sportives was pulling up at a feeding station and being offered food that tasted like wallpaper paste and soggy cardboard by way of refreshment. I wanted a hot pasty and a cup of tea, the psychological lift from those beat the hell out of any sportsfood junk.

carolonabike

Seemed to me the bottom line was that some 'proper' products help if you're doing 100 miles at high speed, but most don't help at all, and none are any use at all to the vast majority of people who use them - ie, those doing an hour's workout. Perhaps the single most significant fact that came out of it was that no-one ever dies of dehydration, but quite a lot of people die from drinking too much, having fallen for the hype of sports drinks marketing.

Oh, and for those who missed it, Graham O'bree recommends jam sarnies and water.

I thought that was the whole crux of the matter, the vast majority of people who buy this stuff don't need it, I see people drinking it while walking round the shops for goodness sake, or doing a half hour session in the gym.
Graham Obree made me smile as did the bit where they had to do a couple of takes because the scientist kept laughing (can't remember why)

Top Bottom