Paper Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
I've just seen an interesting article on the BBC News website, I don't know whether or not it's been posted yet but I couldn't see it so I thought I would.

(Feel free to merge or remove if it has been)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25682712

_72199591_1212.jpg

It's an interesting concept, and assuming the statistics behind it are correct then a brilliant idea. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
dunno if it's just me, but any video on the Beeb website just freezes after 10-20 seconds :sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
worked in chrome :thumbsup: ... but to me... it's just more scaremongering journalism portraying cycling as far more dangerous than it is, and the human skull as far weaker than it is. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Paper helmet in the rain?

From the looks, they are coated in a protective sheet. They aren't obviously going to sell a helmet which falls apart the moment it gets a bit damp.

worked in chrome :thumbsup: ... but to me... it's just more scaremongering journalism portraying cycling as far more dangerous than it is, and the human skull as far weaker than it is. :thumbsdown:

I disagree, assuming that their facts are correct about it reducing impact forces by three times then that is obviously a distinct advantage. I personally didn't thing they suggested cycling was dangerous, all they did was suggest that this new design of helmets was a lot more effective.

In terms of your comment about human skulls being stronger than common perception, I would agree however it still won't stand up to being hit by a car and it isn't so much about the skull not cracking but the brain inside hitting the sides of the skull.

Platinum

When I read the article, where the inventor states he was hit by an opening car door; isn't it better to prevent the accident from happening in the first place rather than rely on protecting your head after it has already happened, when of course in an accident an injury can happen to any part of your body?

davefb

Guru
No helmet will stand up to an 18 wheeler
neither will my car..

but I have massive amounts of metal around me ( both strong and deliberately weak), a belt and airbags... I'd not remove my windscreen, turn the airbag off and cut the seatbelt because "hey , I might hit a train"...

( actually my grandads logic of not wearing a belt, was the worry he might have a truck going towards him and it would take longer to get out the car...)

cars have developed with deliberately weak crush zones to reduce impact forces. by just talking about cycle helmets with a 'yes no' then we avoid the issue of "why arent they being developed to work better" ? if this kickstarts a better helmet, then all for the best , yeah?

you can still choose to not wear them!

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
When I read the article, where the inventor states he was hit by an opening car door; isn't it better to prevent the accident from happening in the first place rather than rely on protecting your head after it has already happened, when of course in an accident an injury can happen to any part of your body?
You can try and prevent something as much as you want but if you place no planning or thought for when it does happen. Where does that leave you?

Last edited:

Lpoolck

Veteran
Seems like the old polystyrene has potentially been superseded. Anyone have any of these paper helmets?

Quote from the link
"If you crash at 15 miles per hour in a normal helmet, your head will be subjected to around 220G [G-force], whereas the new design absorbs more of the impact and means you experience around 70G instead"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25681895

Please don't make this into a helmets are pointless anyways thread...

Lincov

I think they look great, good to see some new innovations. Early reports said they could potentially be custom made for your head. I only bought a new helmet a month or so ago else I'd consider one.

It says it is in the shops but where? I get a lot of links back to the BBC site on google but no shop?

I'd buy and try one if I not too expensive/can actually get one?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom