Paper Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I've already started a thread on the subject here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/paper-helmets.147263/

I did do a search before posting but nothing came up. :wacko:

From the looks, they are coated in a protective sheet. They aren't obviously going to sell a helmet which falls apart the moment it gets a bit damp.

I disagree, assuming that their facts are correct about it reducing impact forces by three times then that is obviously a distinct advantage. I personally didn't thing they suggested cycling was dangerous, all they did was suggest that this new design of helmets was a lot more effective.

In terms of your comment about human skulls being stronger than common perception, I would agree however it still won't stand up to being hit by a car and it isn't so much about the skull not cracking but the brain inside hitting the sides of the skull.

Which can and is exacerbated by some helmet designs!

It is also an issue where the helmet is poorly fitted

Davidc

Guru
The first thing that strikes me is that the shape of the paper helmet seems not to have sharp protrusions like the ones on most polystyrene helmets. Those are known to be a serious hazard, with their tendency to snag on ground (etc.) irregularities, making them rotate and causing severe brain stem damage. That has to be a huge positive for the design.

The impact absorbing properties of crushed paper and of corrugated cardboard are well known, and I am prepared to accept the figures given, and their superiority over the dense expanded polystyrene in consumer helmets. The structure compares with professional helmets, which are made to measure and contain (AFAIK) an aluminium honeycomb structure with a very high impact absorption which protects at track racing speeds. Sadly those helmets cost more than most of our bikes do!

If this idea is shown to work and the helmets are available at a reasonable price (=< £40) I might wear one at times other than when my head's cold or I have to for an event or because of culture.

Water resistance is not an issue. There is already cardboard packaging which is treated with a wax that makes it waterproof and I'm sure bike helmets are no more difficult to protect.

2868441 said:
Make your own. Anyone who watched Blue Peter as a child would find it a breeze.

Doubt it, seems a lot better build than anything I could cobble together. :thumbsup:

Velotution paper helmet:

kraniumavailable.jpg

My Paper Helmet:

head%2Bon%2Bfire.jpg

Linford

Which can and is exacerbated by some helmet designs!

It is also an issue where the helmet is poorly fitted

Fitting issues aside (as that can be resolved), do you feel that it is a step forward in design if the claims can be substantiated ?

Linford

watch the video again, they quite clearly state that cycling is dangerous, hence the need for a stronger helmet.

With or without a lid, the potential is always there for an accident irrespective of the mode used.

If this gains are as good as it appears, I hope it filters through to motorcycle lid design...I'd seriously consider it for the motorbike

IncoherentJeff

Here http://www.velorution.com/abus-kranium-aks1-cardboard-helmet/

Personally, I'd never buy a helmet without trying it on though. Think they're also at shows etc., so they may be at London bike show next month.

The honeycomb structure sounds good. I've not had a BMX shape helmet, but willing to try one for size if I can find a shop with one. My current helmets fairly new so won't be needing one for a while (touch wood).

What gets me is the video from the designer on that page, at 5m 30s the corrugated board is "laser cut" then at 6m 15s the helmets are made using "absolutely no electricity" :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom