Paper Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
So you are stating that none of the 43% of head injuries admitted by the NHS from simple falls could be prevented by this helmet?

This helmet would most likely prevent the large majority of injuries sustained through simple falls, at no point did I deny this.

"Reductio ad absurdum" was in response to your comment that everyone should wear one. You are blowing the entire argument out of proportion by using excessive exaggeration in an attempt to make it sound ridiculous.

2870382 said:
The better than nothing idea only applies to cycling but not walking or driving? Why is that?

Because if you read my other point, the injuries and risks are on average going to be less severe if you are simply walking. When driving, you are going to be exceeding the forces that the helmet is capable of withstanding (however the airbag in the case of the car acts in the same way as the helmet does... would you drive a car without an airbag?).

Tripe!
The research shows that a helmet that is badly fitted can double the severity of a head injury!

We are not talking about badly fitting helmets, we are talking about the helmet itself. Assuming that it is correctly fitted, it will provide greater protection than nothing in the majority of cases.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
No it isn't. Nothing is better if you love the wind in your hair and the expensive p1ss-pot spoiling it is of negligible, if any, benefit. The designer is a likeable cove, but as far as I'm concerned his product is just another layer of irrelevance.

Yes, comfort etc. will be an important factor when deciding on a helmet, however in this debate the focus is on safety and not whether or not you can feel "the wind in your hair".

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes, comfort etc. will be an important factor when deciding on a helmet, however in this debate the focus is on safety and not whether or not you can feel "the wind in your hair".
It's not really about safety - it just thinks it is. Helmets are an irrelevance when it comes to cycling safety.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
:wacko:

Care to explain a bit more?

Not really - there have been about a gazillion threads on the subject and no-one has yet come up with a case for the wearing of helmets for ordinary recreational or transport cycling that is based on anything other than superstition, fear, exaggeration of risk or the desire to pacify others.

Linford

The fact that you are asking these questions shows a stunning level of ignorance of the way helmets work, the testing standards and how they are structured.

Given that you have simply ignored all of this in the past, I am not going to waste time trying to educate you in the absolute basics again
The open lattice has no snag points. The inner shell has an eps shell for fit and comfort, and the outer shell is smooth as shown in this thread up page ^

You have stated you accept that a lid tested to snell b95 is adequate but this testing standard is 19 years old now. Technology moved on and this is the result

Linford

This helmet would most likely prevent the large majority of injuries sustained through simple falls, at no point did I deny this.

"Reductio ad absurdum" was in response to your comment that everyone should wear one. You are blowing the entire argument out of proportion by using excessive exaggeration in an attempt to make it sound ridiculous.

Because if you read my other point, the injuries and risks are on average going to be less severe if you are simply walking. When driving, you are going to be exceeding the forces that the helmet is capable of withstanding (however the airbag in the case of the car acts in the same way as the helmet does... would you drive a car without an airbag?).

We are not talking about badly fitting helmets, we are talking about the helmet itself. Assuming that it is correctly fitted, it will provide greater protection than nothing in the majority of cases.

Has he asked you about the thudguard yet?

The open lattice has no snag points. The inner shell has an eps shell for fit and comfort, and the outer shell is smooth as shown in this thread up page ^

You have stated you accept that a lid tested to snell b95 is adequate but this testing standard is 19 years old now. Technology moved on and this is the result

...and just how has a helmet impacting a solid object changed in 19 years?

Has gravity increased?

Or are you suggesting that helmets are no longer designed to withstand an impact?

If a helmet is able to withstand the Snell impact tests then it is able to with stand the Snell impact tests. If notthen it offers less protection than one that does-simples

Now lets see which tangent you take to avoid answering that basic fact?

Wrong I simply asked if you thought the helmet would prevent those injuries,,,, the rest is your erroneous assumption

Now all you have to do is explain why you feel that preventing head injuries in one group is absurd, and yet desirable in another.

Linford

...and just how has a helmet impacting a solid object changed in 19 years?

Has gravity increased?

Or are you suggesting that helmets are no longer designed to withstand an impact?

If a helmet is able to withstand the Snell impact tests then it is able to with stand the Snell impact tests. If not then it offers less protection than one that does-simples

Now lets see which tangent you take to avoid answering that basic fact?

So do you use a snell tested lid, and if not, why not ?. You have held this standard up as an acceptable one to measure efficacy of cycling lids so you do clearly think that they can mitigate in the event of an accident.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
your head is a vulnerable and irreplaceable part of your body and as such should be protected.
my head is protected, with my skull :banghead:
Yes it is a strong structure, however I believe you are overestimating it.
Even if it doesn't fracture the skull, the damage sustained to the brain can easily be fatal....
all of which is easily solved with a piece of polystyrene or, in this thread, cardboard. :blush:

Fact of the matter is, the standards for cycling helmets is way below the types of collisions you describe (20+mph, 35+mph). Cycling helmets are designed for low speeds and low impacts... similar those of walking or running. But seemingly, the suggestion that walkers or runners should also wear helmets is 'blowing it out of proportion'.

and talking of blowing things out of proportion... I put a polystyrene cup over the end of my hammer, then hit it against a wall... the cup was completely smashed, but had the polystyrene cup not been there, the hammer would have smashed instead!!!! It's logic Jim, but not as we know it :wacko:

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Is it time for this yet?

ttar_watermelon_01_v_launch.jpg

Linford

my head is protected, with my skull :banghead:

all of which is easily solved with a piece of polystyrene or, in this thread, cardboard. :blush:

Fact of the matter is, the standards for cycling helmets is way below the types of collisions you keep describing (20+mph, 35+mph). Cycling helmets are designed for low speeds and low impacts... similar those of walking or running. But seemingly, the suggestion that walkers or runners should also wear helmets is 'blowing it out of proportion'.

and talking of blowing things out of proportion... I put a polystyrene cup over the end of my hammer, then hit it against a wall... the cup was completely smashed, but had the polystyrene cup not been there, the hammer would have smashed instead!!!! It's logic Jim, but not as we know it :wacko:

This is quite a bizarre POV to take.
You can get a skull fracture at lower speeds than is required to cause brain damage from the G force. A skull fracture can also result in shards of bone breaking off inside the skull and injuring the brain.

Read the broken neck thread now being discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom