Paper only driving licence validity in EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
The useless government web site says photocard licences are valid in the EU post brexit but you might need an International Driving Permit if you have a paper only licence and recommends contacting the various embassies.

Does anyone here know if a paper-only driving licence is still valid in EU countries?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
For something of this nature, I wouldn't take the word of somebody on a chat forum, I’d be checking directly with the destination country and any others I’ll be passing through.

From this article it appears there isn’t a single type of IDP but two: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859

“There are two different types of IDP you might need in Europe. For France and Germany, for example, some of those people will need a 1968 IDP.
There is also a 1949 IDP, which covers visits to Andorra, for example.
You can find the full list of which IDPs you need worldwide on this page.”

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Oh thanks @Mr Celine, that's good timing; stupidly I hadn't thought about the impact of Brexit on my paper licence for driving in the EU later this year.

Phew, looks like i'm okay, although might get something in writing from embassies. Belt & braces, and all that.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I had thought about the consequences but not done anything about it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Baldy

Über Member
I may be wrong but I didn't think paper licences were still valid in this country never mind in the EU.

presta

Guru
Wouldn't it just be quicker and simpler to swap to a photo licence instead of whatever faffing around it takes to use the paper one?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wouldn't it just be quicker and simpler to swap to a photo licence instead of whatever faffing around it takes to use the paper one?

It doesn't take any faffing about at all. My incredibly shabby paper licence was issued in 1987 and is good in the UK until 2024. I have not had to faff about with passport photos and renewal fees, just a lot of Sellotape to stop it disintegrating.

Top Bottom