Paper only driving licence validity in EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It doesn't take any faffing about at all. My incredibly shabby paper licence was issued in 1987 and is good in the UK until 2024. I have not had to faff about with passport photos and renewal fees . . . .
Agree. Though once you hit 60 it's probably worth getting a plastic one which will last till obligatory renewal at age 70.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Still got the pink and green paper one too. It’s never been needed much so is still pristine in it’s original plastic wallet.

I had forgotten about the plastic wallets. They were a bit like a slightly frosted shower screen. Anyway, I must have lost mine long ago....hence all the Sellotape. Car rental companies in north America are awestruck by my shabby offering.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just driven down to the Algarve and back on a paper license with no problem. Think there is a lot of unnecessary scaremongering going around.

There was a checkpoint at one roundabout en route in Spain, the Guardia Civil slowed us down, took one look at our number plate and waved us on, obviously too much paperwork to prosecute a Brit especially now since Brexit driving offences are not shared between UK and EU.

Alex321

Veteran
I may be wrong but I didn't think paper licences were still valid in this country never mind in the EU.

They are still valid if you haven't moved house, changed name, or changed classes of vehicles since photocards came in. Any of those changes now, you will have to get a photocard licence.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
They are still valid if you haven't moved house, changed name, or changed classes of vehicles since photocards came in. Any of those changes now, you will have to get a photocard licence.

Yes, that is our situation exactly, have lived in the same house for 35 years so have never had to renew hence still have a paper license.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Still got the pink and green paper one too. It’s never been needed much so is still pristine in it’s original plastic wallet.

I did have one but I got fed up with increasingly being required to provide photo-id, for which I only had a passport, so decided to change it a couple of years ago.

It was getting rather fragile, what with umpteen years of being unfolded for photocopying every time I needed a courtesy car when getting my car serviced. It ended up held together with sellotape.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
£14 every ten years? Never paid that? Is that something new since I became 70? (Ie last 5 years)?

It’s been that way since photo card licences came into use in 1998!

Have you been driving around with an expired licence? 😂

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
I think it's free once you're 70.

This year's destination is still being planned but it has been narrowed down to either the Vosges or the Swiss Jura. As P&O have been added to the list of disreputable companies that I will not be giving any of my money to, the likely ferry journey is Newcastle to Amsterdam. This means driving in Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and if we include a visit to friends near Arnhem probably Germany.
I emailed 5 embassies last night (the French one doesn't give an email address). Top marks to the Swiss, who gave a very helpful reply and confirmed it's OK. The Netherlands have sent me a link to another way of contacting them. The Belgian embassy say they are not competent regarding driving licences and supply a link to a site which is no more helpful than the British site. Luxembourg suggest contacting their ministry of transport. Germany hasn't replied.

If this was NACA I'd be saying what a complete clusterfark Brexit is. How can Rees Mogg expect anyone to identify brexit opportunities if the British government can't even tell me what rights I've lost?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think it's free once you're 70.

This year's destination is still being planned but it has been narrowed down to either the Vosges or the Swiss Jura. As P&O have been added to the list of disreputable companies that I will not be giving any of my money to, the likely ferry journey is Newcastle to Amsterdam. This means driving in Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and if we include a visit to friends near Arnhem probably Germany.
I emailed 5 embassies last night (the French one doesn't give an email address). Top marks to the Swiss, who gave a very helpful reply and confirmed it's OK. The Netherlands have sent me a link to another way of contacting them. The Belgian embassy say they are not competent regarding driving licences and supply a link to a site which is no more helpful than the British site. Luxembourg suggest contacting their ministry of transport. Germany hasn't replied.

If this was NACA I'd be saying what a complete clusterfark Brexit is. How can Rees Mogg expect anyone to identify brexit opportunities if the British government can't even tell me what rights I've lost?

Surely, the conclusion you should come to is that the only government officials who have proved to be competent are from Switzerland, a non-EU country? :whistle:

Top Bottom