Paper only driving licence validity in EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes. Don’t recall paying any fees

It is free to renew the licence if you are over 70 or have a medical condition which requires shorter renewal periods.

It is also free to change the name or address on the licence.

It is £14 to renew otherwise, and has to be done every 10 years if you have a photocard.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes. Don’t recall paying any fees

It’s free once you’re 70.

I was puzzled by your surprise at the £14 renewal fee because that’s been in place long enough for you to have needed to pay it. Unless, of course, you don’t have a photo card licence.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It’s free once you’re 70.

I was puzzled by your surprise at the £14 renewal fee because that’s been in place long enough for you to have needed to pay it. Unless, of course, you don’t have a photo card licence.

I do have a photo card licence, since way back, it was/is a useful form of Id, plus, I travelled extensively with work and it was simply easier. Don’t recall ever paying to renew?

glasgowcyclist

I do have a photo card licence, since way back, it was/is a useful form of Id, plus, I travelled extensively with work and it was simply easier. Don’t recall ever paying to renew?

This is an example of the current photo card licence. What are the dates on yours for the entries at 4a and 4b?

D9AF6729-8725-4B5D-9990-EA83B3588E37.jpeg

glasgowcyclist

Not sure I should disclose that information, but, I can assure you, it has not expired.

4a says ??/??/20
4b says ??/??/23

Ok, so you’re now onto the 70+ licence, renewable at no cost every 3 yrs.

If you had a photo card licence prior to that, and for more than 10 years, then you must have paid for renewal (and forgotten?) at least once since those came in, 24 years ago.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Ok, so you’re now onto the 70+ licence, renewable at no cost every 3 yrs.

If you had a photo card licence prior to that, and for more than 10 years, then you must have paid for renewal (and forgotten?) at least once since those came in, 24 years ago.

Ok, I accept I may have forgotten I paid, and/or that I forgot to update my photograph ;)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am lucky as I still have my French driving licence from 1969 as well as a GB one of course , so I can drive anywhere in the EU.

Alex321

Veteran
Why is Sarah Meredyth Morgan living in Edinburgh and not Swansea? Must admit have never seen Meredith spelt with a Y before.

Welsh people can move elsewhere to live :smile:

My younger daughter (called Anwen) married a Scotsman and is living with him and their sons in Cardrona (near Peebles). She was born and brought up in South Wales, including education at Welsh language schools.

Chislenko

Veteran

My younger daughter (called Anwen) married a Scotsman and is living with him and their sons in Cardrona (near Peebles). She was born and brought up in South Wales, including education at Welsh language schools.

My wife's cousin lives in Peebles.

Chislenko

Veteran

Sarah is now living in Swansea

driving-license.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
I gave up trying to establish the validity of my paper licence and got an IDP from the post office for the princely sum of £5.50, as did Mrs Celine.
These were prepared and issued by the same post office clerk albeit on different days and although we both have the same entitlements on our UK licences they are different on the IDPs.
Abroad, neither of us can tow anything with a car but we can both tow with a minibus or two axle van and Mrs Celine can tow from a three axle rigid lorry or a full size bus. :laugh:

Top Bottom