Paris becomes another 30 kph capital

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Yes, saw it on the news the other night. Generally well accepted it would seem (from the interviews) though some wag was kinda '30kph? I wish!'

Interestingly though, from studies from another city that's had the 30kph limit for some time (Lille I think it was) there's a surprising number of people that ignore it; doing either more than 30, or more than the previous 50 limit even.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
20mph limits here get ignored. Without enforcement, it's just a waste of money on signage.
Hopefully it won’t be about enforcement by police in the future. Intelligent Speed Assistance arrives in 2022 over most of Europe and the UK, this will restrict the cars automatically. Yes, at introduction it can be turned off, but over the years undoubtably it will become stricter. Having 20mph limits in place now, even ones that are ignored are a good thing as over time they won’t be allowed to be ignored.

Cerdic

Well of course 20mph speed limits are ignored.

Modern cars are built to travel at over 100mph quietly and comfortably. 20 feels sooooo slllooooowww.

Make everyone drive around in a 1959 VW Beetle and watch speeds tumble...

There's a 30 km/h limit on the edge of our village, with a camera, which is very effective: it looks like a permanent parade is going in and out of the village.

Even better, the cameras are dark green and slightly hidden, so drivers can't easily tell where they are...

Sadly, they can't do that here because its "unfair". Never mind that its unfair for residents to put up with speeding numbties.

I never understood that. If you don't want to be caught by cameras, drive to the speed limit: they're only of interest if you are driving too fast. By that logic car alarms should be banned because it's unfair on car thieves.

Milzy

Guru
All insurance companies should use telemetry boxes. On the M1 yesterday there was BMW’s & Audis doing 120mph down the right hand lane.
Then there’s those who drag race up to red lights & slam on. The government could be making 10 times more money from speeders at the same time saving lives & people fuel.

All insurance companies should use telemetry boxes. On the M1 yesterday there was BMW’s & Audis doing 120mph down the right hand lane.
Then there’s those who drag race up to red lights & slam on. The government could be making 10 times more money from speeders at the same time saving lives & people fuel.

I think it makes a difference when local authorities can finance and benefit from the cameras: it increases motivation to put them out, and also to have unmarked mobile vans- I know the local van to us in gets the use of a driveway to park on and free coffee when he's in residential areas...

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I never understood that. If you don't want to be caught by cameras, drive to the speed limit: they're only of interest if you are driving too fast. By that logic car alarms should be banned because it's unfair on car thieves.
I agree. Cameras that catch other types of offender don't have to be signposted, painted in hi vis and advertised on the internet, local paper and local radio, yet road crime offenders think themselves a special case.

There is this terrbile culture here of "war on the motorist". Try and clamp down on anything from road crime, through safety, right across to pollution, and the authorities get accused of war on the motorist. Even worse, the authorities don't have the stones to stand up to it.

I agree. Cameras that catch other types of offender don't have to be signposted, painted in hi vis and advertised on the internet, local paper and local radio, yet road crime offenders think themselves a special case.

There is this terrbile culture here of "war on the motorist". Try and clamp down on anything from road crime, through safety, right across to pollution, and the authorities get accused of war on the motorist. Even worse, the authorities don't have the stones to stand up to it.

That's a good point: here it's the other way around and normal CCTV cameras aren't allowed in public spaces...

Top Bottom