Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Best of British to everyone heading for France. I'm staying home, writing my "Road to PBP '07" on VeloWeb.

Bonne route!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That's the bike fettled. New cassette and chain, new cables, new tyres...er...perhaps better change the front brake blocks.

Now...where's my passport?

Official Good Luck Message

Best wishes to everyone undertaking this 'Grand Bimble'. you have done all the fearful qualifying stuff and now's the time to enjoy the fruits of your labour. Dark, wet nights will be replaced by warm welcoming landscapes as you all venture forth. (I keep needing to eat a Paris-Brest every time I think about the ride - that's my level of involvment :tongue:)
So, good fortune all, particularly Els, Frank and Rimas - I have been lucky enough to share a mile or two with them - to Andrew, CycleChat's 'Jaune in a maillot' and to all you others undertaking this big event. You have earned every last kilometre of this... do your best.

Allez!

(PS - don't forget to pop into 'Aux villes du Nord' and check up on the proprietor, Frank - ta! :smile: )

Best wishes to everyone undertaking this 'Grand Bimble'. you have done all the fearful qualifying stuff and now's the time to enjoy the fruits of your labour. Dark, wet nights will be replaced by warm welcoming landscapes as you all venture forth. (I keep needing to eat a Paris-Brest every time I think about the ride - that's my level of involvment :tongue:)
So, good fortune all, particularly Els, Frank and Rimas - I have been lucky enough to share a mile or two with them - to Andrew, CycleChat's 'Jaune in a maillot' and to all you others undertaking this big event. You have earned every last kilometre of this... do your best.

Allez!

(PS - don't forget to pop into 'Aux villes du Nord' and check up on the proprietor, Frank - ta! :smile: )

Merci mon ami!

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks very much, 'Teef.

I'm getting the ferry tomorrow night followed by the familiar tap-in (not tapin) ride down to Paris on Thursday / Friday.

We are being fitted with RFID tags so that our progress can be tracked, in the style of parcels, from checkpoint to checkpoint. If anyone is interested in tracking the progress of their favourite Cyclechatters, then you can do so here:
http://www.paris-bre...vi_participants

You need to put in the number of the person you want to trace (eg mine is 5649 and I believe that Els is 5741 and Rimas (in the fast group) is 1885), then it should tell you where they have got to. There's a full list here

Of course it will give the name of a small place in France, which may not mean very much, so here is a decent map of the route:
http://cyclo-long-co...cours-pbp-2011/

I start between 6:00-7:20pm on Sunday evening (21st Aug). I expect to be at Brest very late next Tuesday Monday night and to finish either late on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. The deadline is midday-1:20pm (90 hours after I started) on Thursday (25th). Els might be keeping a similar schedule but Rimas will probably be back at work by the time I finish!

Thanks very much, 'Teef.

I'm getting the ferry tomorrow night followed by the familiar tap-in (not tapin) ride down to Paris on Thursday / Friday.

We are being fitted with RFID tags so that our progress can be tracked, in the style of parcels, from checkpoint to checkpoint. If anyone is interested in tracking the progress of their favourite Cyclechatters, then you can do so here:
http://www.paris-bre...vi_participants

You need to put in the number of the person you want to trace (eg mine is 5649 and I believe that Els is 5741 and Rimas (in the fast group) is 1885), then it should tell you where they have got to. There's a full list here

Of course it will give the name of a small place in France, which may not mean very much, so here is a decent map of the route:
http://cyclo-long-co...cours-pbp-2011/

I start between 6:00-7:20pm on Sunday evening (21st Aug). I expect to be at Brest very late next Tuesday Monday night and to finish either late on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. The deadline is midday-1:20pm (90 hours after I started) on Thursday (25th). Els might be keeping a similar schedule but Rimas will probably be back at work by the time I finish!

Good Luck Frank - I hope you have a great time. The ride to Paris .... what can I say?! But if you see any cows laughing in the fields you can tell them that I still don't have mudguards!

Thank you for all the tracking tips, that's great and I am looking forward to keeping up with you (virtually speaking of course!)

Am still trying to remember the name of the appley drink that appeared every so often during last months trip...

Bon chance and have a blast.

M :bicycle:

frank9755

Cyclist
Good Luck Frank - I hope you have a great time. The ride to Paris .... what can I say?! But if you see any cows laughing in the fields you can tell them that I still don't have mudguards!

Thank you for all the tracking tips, that's great and I am looking forward to keeping up with you (virtually speaking of course!)

Am still trying to remember the name of the appley drink that appeared every so often during last months trip...

Bon chance and have a blast.

M :bicycle:

Thanks M - just about to leave now.

Appley drink: cider, calvados...?

yello

Thanks for the thoughts 'pero & rich.

I'm driving up tomorrow morning, it'll take around 4 hours. It's too darn humid at the moment and I hope that goes before Sunday night's departure. Forecast for thunderstorms Sunday evening and Monday afternoon so we could be in for a soaking... temperatures will still be mid 20s though! I don't think I'll bother with a rain coat, I'd get wet with or without one in those conditions!

I'm spending a few days in the UK after PBP so don't get all concerned (not that you would ;) ) if you don't hear from me until September.

Top Bottom