Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Change of plan - I'm now riding over but will get ferry back.

I did a 200km audax today (Cotswolds Expedition) which was good. Had a good chat on the way round with a guy who did PBP last time. He confirmed that it can be hard to navigate the last few miles back to the finish. He had clearly been suffering with sleep deprivation which made it even harder for him - but even more reason to have the route nailed down.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Change of plan - I'm now riding over but will get ferry back.

I did a 200km audax today (Cotswolds Expedition) which was good. Had a good chat on the way round with a guy who did PBP last time. He confirmed that it can be hard to navigate the last few miles back to the finish. He had clearly been suffering with sleep deprivation which made it even harder for him - but even more reason to have the route nailed down.

I think a ferry's required both ways unless you're flying.

ACP say the last kms will be simpler this time, a more direct route. I think there may be some traffic control. Last time I picked up with a handy French group and sailed in with them. It is only the last few urban kms.

yello

Argh, my last 200 killed me .... How am I gonna do the PBP?!

Don't worry or have doubts, you'll be fine. It's always the way. Just as you have good days and bad days, you have good audaxes and bad audaxes. You learn from both, makes you stronger in some way. And PBP will have a vibe and atmosphere that'll carry you through - probably be over before you've had time to think about it!

I'm thinking of riding a 1000k in a couple of weeks time. More for fun and testing than 'training'. After that, I'll follow the perceived wisdom and start doing shorter faster rides.

DooBlood

Mr Pickwicks indeed! See you there!

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm thinking of riding a 1000k in a couple of weeks time. More for fun and testing than 'training'. After that, I'll follow the perceived wisdom and start doing shorter faster rides.

I'm using a preparation schedule based on the advice in Simon Dowty's* Long Distance Cycling book.

Loosely following it, I did a 600 in Scotland last weekend. I'm pleased I did as it felt a lot more comfortable than the Bryan Chapman back in May and has given me a lot more confidence. I've then got a 300 this weekend followed by another 600 (FNRttC + Dunwich) then another 300 (FNRttC to Paris). Then I'll back off with a mixture of 100, 200s, time trials and some rest.

(*SD was one of the Brindisi 7 who helped get UK audax on the map but was then mown down by a car on his way to work and is severely disabled).

yello

I'm using a preparation schedule based on the advice in Simon Dowty's* Long Distance Cycling book.

I have that book too. Imho, it's a very good and basic approach to all things audax related, not a lot that isn't mentioned in it really. Sometimes you get the feeling you're being told the bleedin' obvious but not everything is obvious to everyone so, yes, a recommended read.

The advice given re the 1200+km training program does differ from what people both here and on YACF are saying though. I'm unsure to which is the best advice so have to go with what feels intuitively right for me.

JoysOfSight

I've got my frame number, Eurostar booked each way, etc. etc., but I've overcooked it on the training front and am having a lot of trouble with the knees.

I've been seeing a physio the last few weeks but it's very slow going - of all the luck! Less than 100 miles in June and realistically I'm not going to get more than that in July (I'm actually contemplating a complete freeze on riding until August - eek!)

Since I'm also half a stone heavier, the only positive is that I'm going to be very mentally refreshed and hungry for the ride itself, and they do say PBP is mainly mental...

yello

I have my frame number too, JoS.

Best of luck with the recuperation, but don't hurry back. If you really have to take a couple of months off, don't worry, the occasion of PBP will make up for any missing form. What it can't do is repair an injured knee.

Top Bottom