Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Yep, I don't think you need really long rides at this point in the game. A few 2 or 300s will keep things tuned between now and August and some speed and hill work will help. Stay injury free and don't burn yourself out. Good luck everyone.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've done my PBP entering, thinking and booking today.

- Switched to the 90 hour start - on the grounds that one of the main reasons for doing PBP is that it is such a big event and, apparently, that evening start is when you really appreciate it.

- Decided to go over (and back) on the Eurostar - out on friday 19th and back on friday 26th. It seems the easiest way. I'll just take my bike to bits and carry it on in a bag.

- Booked the campsite which will be ideal for keeping my excess stuff in during the ride and for hanging around beforehand and partying afterwards. But I want a bed the night before so that I don't start sleep-deprived, so I have also booked the Etap hotel in St Quentin for the Saturday night.

- I've bought the t-shirt, and the reflective gilet!

- Having listened to all the advice on here and elsewhere, I've decided that I'm going to do another 600!
wacko.gif
I've entered the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland on the 1 July. What really appeals is that it is an evening start so I will be able to rehearse my first bit of PBP. Ride through the night and the following day, get 400+ km under my belt, then have a sleep before wrapping it up the next day. It will be good to know how I cope with that before I start PBP. It's a long train journey but all the logistics seem to work (direct trains) plus I'll get to see a massive bit of Scotland that I've not been to before.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
One thing that's worth doing on the days before the start, is to check out the return route into the finish, ie the last 20 miles or so. Unfortunately other riders start to remove the arrows as souvenirs as they get close to finishing so this stage can be tricky and if you're running close to the cut off, you won't have any time in hand to make up for getting lost. Have a half day ride out and back and a good look around. Remember it will be dark when you do this stretch setting off.

The other thing, is nothing will prepare you for the first night - there's nothing else like it! It's worth writing on your route card the following 'aid memoir': EAT and DRINK. It'll probably be cool enough to not 'need' to drink and it's easy to get so wrapped up in the occasion and perhaps in a pace line that's going quite quick, that you forget the basics. But get into a food or drink deficit that early in the ride and there is no hope of recovering.

The other thing to remember on the first night is if you need to stop for a piss, then you must go across to the 'other side' of the road. There will be very little on coming traffic, but on that side you'll have a bit of clear road to get mounted and back up to speed before crossing back to the flow of bikes. If you just pull onto the verge on your side you will stand there as a continuous stream of bikes whizzes past within inches of you. Some people have been marooned for over an hour unable to find a space to get back into the flow of riders.

Finally remember as you crest a rise to look back along the route. This is the only time you will see a continuous ribbon of lights stretching unbroken to the horizon that is all bikes. It will be white as far as you can see behind and as you look ahead again, it will be red from you to eternity.

yello

The other thing to remember on the first night is if you need to stop for a piss, then you must go across to the 'other side' of the road.

A staggeringly good, practical bit of advice!

I say so because I wouldn't have thought of it!! I would have been one of those that got stranded trying to get back into the stream of passing cyclists.

Cheers Tim! :thumbsup:

yello

Booked the campsite which will be ideal for keeping my excess stuff in during the ride and for hanging around beforehand and partying afterwards. But I want a bed the night before so that I don't start sleep-deprived, so I have also booked the Etap hotel in St Quentin for the Saturday night.

I've done something similar. Campsite for storing stuff and sleeping afterwards, hotel for the night before. I also have booked a car parking space though I'm not sure if I'll actually take the car yet. If I do, people are welcome to dump stuff in the back should they need.

Shirt sizings are European so don't be shocked if you have to order XL when M does you in the UK! I've come to the conclusion that Europeans must be pigeon chested! (Do pigeons have particularly small chests?? Hmmm....) Anyways, at 1.7m and 70kg, I really don't consider myself 'extra large'.... but my chest/waist size says I am according to the sizing chart!

frank9755

Cyclist
Shirt sizings are European so don't be shocked if you have to order XL when M does you in the UK! I've come to the conclusion that Europeans must be pigeon chested! (Do pigeons have particularly small chests?? Hmmm....) Anyways, at 1.7m and 70kg, I really don't consider myself 'extra large'.... but my chest/waist size says I am according to the sizing chart!

I got confused by the shirt sizings! I'm sure I've ordered something way too small. To begin with I just ticked 'Medium' but then I looked at the chest sizes and realised they were designed for sparrows. I've ended up going for a 'Large' as I've never been an XL or bigger in anything in my life. I'm in spec for height and weight, the waist is close, but the chest will be stretch!

Maybe I need to go back in and change it. I am about about 1.70m and 75kg so if you need an XL, I clearly will.

The gilets seem to be sized much more 'normally'. The Large in that sounds like it will fit me fine.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I got confused by the shirt sizings! I'm sure I've ordered something way too small. To begin with I just ticked 'Medium' but then I looked at the chest sizes and realised they were designed for sparrows. I've ended up going for a 'Large' as I've never been an XL or bigger in anything in my life. I'm in spec for height and weight, the waist is close, but the chest will be stretch!

Maybe I need to go back in and change it. I am about about 1.70m and 75kg so if you need an XL, I clearly will.

The gilets seem to be sized much more 'normally'. The Large in that sounds like it will fit me fine.

I can check tomorrow what my previous ones are vs. other club kit.

yello

I had to check the sizing on 2 of my European shirts (one Italian, one French) before ordering XL. My Italian one is marked XL, the French one is 6.

DooBlood

Hi PBPers,

Have enjoyed reading your last few posts. Feel very fat and unfit at mo' having just returned from Africa (no exercise for nearly 3 weeks). Have proper registered now, so training (and dieting) must begin. Oh, help me please ...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Don't worry, there's plenty of time. You've got the endurance. Train for a bit of speed.

Jaristokraatti

[quote Finally remember as you crest a rise to look back along the route. This is the only time you will see a continuous ribbon of lights stretching unbroken to the horizon that is all bikes. It will be white as far as you can see behind and as you look ahead again, it will be red from you to eternity.
[/quote]
Very good piece fo advice all together. The quoted one is perfect: I did the Vetternrundan some years back in Sweden with 22 000, yes twentytwothousand , other riders and the ribbons of red and white/yellow were just fabulous.

DooBlood

:ohmy: Hi! Now that I have registered for the PBP, what happens next? Do I get sent my new jersey, reflective top and bandanna or do I have to pick it up in France? Does anything get sent to my address?
Managed to do 40 miles this week, which is poor I know, but it beats doing nothing like the past few weeks. Next weekend I have a 200k, bring it on!

zigzag

Veteran
my weekend's training: yesterday fnrttc to whitstable - 211km, today bhf ride to brighton - 193km. felt strong both days!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
:ohmy: Hi! Now that I have registered for the PBP, what happens next? Do I get sent my new jersey, reflective top and bandanna or do I have to pick it up in France? Does anything get sent to my address?
Managed to do 40 miles this week, which is poor I know, but it beats doing nothing like the past few weeks. Next weekend I have a 200k, bring it on!

It'll all be given to you at registration, probably with sundry other items including a bidon.

Top Bottom