Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Now comes the hard bit - staying fit until August.

Yes - I'm wrestling with this but don't really have a masterplan! It's almost a month now since I did Bryan Chapman and last night I booked myself up for a mixture of audaxes and time trials. I'm toying with the idea of doing another 600...

PS - well done Andrew

yello

I too have not yet decided on the format for phase 2. I'll want at least one other long ride, perhaps a 400. There's a 1000km not too far from me, which tempts me, but I'm undecided.

My club rides are 100km each week, plus one or two 150s each month, but they are definitely not quick. 19 or 20kph average, so too slow really. I class those as my 'fun' rides though.

I have a couple of local 50km circuits that I might do 3 or 4 times a week for quick sessions. I can get around them in under 2 hours on a good day. Nothing around here is flat btw. I'm not fast, never have been and probably never will be. How people can go under 30 hours for a 600 just beats me. I marvel at their prowess. Me, I'm a plodder - a swift one admittedly, but a plodder none-the-less. I get through on sheer bloodymindedness!

Feel pretty run down today. The bikes are staying in the shed!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's no need for any more very long rides! Your body actually takes weeks to fully recover from a 1000km ride and a surprisingly long time from a 600km.

You need to focus on doing rides that excite you together with ensuring you stay well and injury free. It's important to arrive at the start not only ready but really enthusiastic as well. Don't get jaded by grinding out too many long rides.

So pick a variety of stuff: I would recommend a fully loaded camping tour for a week (or a couple of long weekends) to reinforce your steady state stamina plus as much hilly riding as you can manage (PBP is not 'hilly' but it's not flat either - 30,000 feet of ascent!). Even try some off road enduros like The Rough Ride or whatever you fancy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Feel pretty run down today. The bikes are staying in the shed!

Yup, you're wise not to overdo it.

I'm with Frank9755: shorter distances, TTs, keep riding the bike. You don't need to be race-fit to ride PBP, but a bit of speed gives you leeway.

Yes - I'm wrestling with this but don't really have a masterplan! It's almost a month now since I did Bryan Chapman and last night I booked myself up for a mixture of audaxes and time trials. I'm toying with the idea of doing another 600...

PS - well done Andrew

Exactly the same with me. Must get into it again soon, and do at least something this coming weekend. I'm putting on weight, finding excuses not to exercise.

Toyed with 600 like Invicta, toyed with a 300+200 perms also, but have lack of motivation. What is likely to happen is a GPS DIY London to Brighton turned into a 300 on Saturday. Spinning twice a week and TT every other week.

See you at the track on Wednesday?

frank9755

Cyclist
Exactly the same with me. Must get into it again soon, and do at least something this coming weekend. I'm putting on weight, finding excuses not to exercise.

Toyed with 600 like Invicta, toyed with a 300+200 perms also, but have lack of motivation. What is likely to happen is a GPS DIY London to Brighton turned into a 300 on Saturday. Spinning twice a week and TT every other week.

See you at the track on Wednesday?

Some good responses, both here and on YACF, have persuaded me that I don't need to do another 600.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
thumbsup.png
:biggrin:
icon_lol.gif
cool.gif
bravo.gif
cheers.gif
The only one that I could make was the one in Scotland on 1 July, which would be a super ride but a long way away and a battle with midges!

On that basis I've entered a couple of 200s and I am going to do more time trials. I've got a 10 mile one this weekend but will ride out to it (c.30 miles each way, so will be 100km ride with a fast bit in the middle). I had thought of doing the 24 hour TT but just don't feel ready for it yet (only ridden the TT bike twice this year!) so I have changed my mind and am going to do a 50 mile TT on that weekend instead.

Re Wednesday, I hope so - as long as I can get away from work on time!

zigzag

Veteran
went to see my most local club (tri-club) on saturday, went for a ride with them, chatted about joining, about their training etc. all excellent stuff, but i'm not overly interested in triathlons (yet). they suggested that joining cycling club might better suit my needs at the moment.
so tomorrow if i manage to finish work on time i'll try to join tuesday evening chaingang with dulwich paragon. it starts about 9 miles from my home, not close, but not too far either. claimed average speeds are 22-23mph so it will be hard work keeping up with them.

frank9755

Cyclist
went to see my most local club (tri-club) on saturday, went for a ride with them, chatted about joining, about their training etc. all excellent stuff, but i'm not overly interested in triathlons (yet). they suggested that joining cycling club might better suit my needs at the moment.
so tomorrow if i manage to finish work on time i'll try to join tuesday evening chaingang with dulwich paragon. it starts about 9 miles from my home, not close, but not too far either. claimed average speeds are 22-23mph so it will be hard work keeping up with them.

Rimas,

Your triathlon club gave you good advice: triathletes are not necessarily the best people to learn group riding skills from as many of them are likely to be recent entrants to the sport. However, they would be very good people to talk to about some other things, such as training methods, peaking and tapering, etc.

I don't think you have an awful lot to learn about group riding. A bit of practice doing through and off and getting close to wheels will be good as it is something different to think about, which can be useful on a long ride! I don't know Dulwich Paragon but I don't think you will have any problems keeping up with a club ride! Don't worry about the speed because you will go faster than normal when you are in a group.

zigzag

Veteran

bloody heck that was intense! only three "slower"guys showed up as the fast boys were on a local race. so after initial instructions and a remark that i should have a bigger chainring we set off. constantly rotating we were going at a decent pace (i was going flat out). only got dropped twice near the end on the flat bit and on the last hill. limped back home barely turning my legs. now stuffing my face with whatever is in the fridge.
i think i'll be doing these chaingangs once a week - although painful, but they should make me quicker for pbp.

frank9755

Cyclist
bloody heck that was intense! only three "slower"guys showed up as the fast boys were on a local race. so after initial instructions and a remark that i should have a bigger chainring we set off. constantly rotating we were going at a decent pace (i was going flat out). only got dropped twice near the end on the flat bit and on the last hill. limped back home barely turning my legs. now stuffing my face with whatever is in the fridge.
i think i'll be doing these chaingangs once a week - although painful, but they should make me quicker for pbp.

Yes, I was worried that you might not have a high enough gear!
You'll find it easier the next time...

zigzag

Veteran
Yes, I was worried that you might not have a high enough gear!
You'll find it easier the next time...

well i didn't spin out, the top gear was high enough (just), but i was getting too tired to keep up at the end. my bike with unessential bits (mudguards, brooks saddle, heavy lights, seatbag) didn't help either as they were on lean lightweight race bikes.

..thoughts of n+1.. :rolleyes:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
well i didn't spin out, the top gear was high enough (just), but i was getting too tired to keep up at the end. my bike with unessential bits (mudguards, brooks saddle, heavy lights, seatbag) didn't help either as they were on lean lightweight race bikes.

It sounds like the Boydon Well.

frank9755

Cyclist

Sounds like you had a good ride!

I remember suffering once last year when I did a club ride on my touring bike. The slight bit of extra weight and fatter tyres took a couple of clicks off my speed (but the lower gearing meant I could at least get up the hills!).

However, I would have thought that your bike would be ok. I don't have any problems nowadays on club rides with my audax bike and I generally have mudguards, brooks and a small saddlebag. You could certainly take the lights off but, assuming you're on 23s or 25s, you shouldn't be at a major disadvantage.

However I don't want to put you off getting a shiny new bike!

Top Bottom