Park chainring tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You "can" manage without one. Most of the time you can simply jiggle a screwdriver and hold the back of the bolt while you turn an Allen key at the front.
But....there is always one that is stuck fast. Try as you might it will not come free and it's usually the last one.
For the price these are well worth having in your tool box.

There is the added benefit that if you buy one of these your bolts will always come free without you needing to use it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You "can" manage without one. Most of the time you can simply jiggle a screwdriver and hold the back of the bolt while you turn an Allen key at the front.
But....there is always one that is stuck fast. Try as you might it will not come free and it's usually the last one.
For the price these are well worth having in your tool box.

There is the added benefit that if you buy one of these your bolts will always come free without you needing to use it.

Or if you don't have a screwdriver with a wide head, a butter knife or paint scraper.

D

Deleted member 1258

It looks like it might be an improvement on the ancient one I've got, is the middle prong on it to stop it slipping?

Big John

Guru
I bought one years ago thinking it would get well used. It's still in my tool box without ever seeing the light of day. It's a tool that never needed inventing as there are a multitude of other bits and pieces that do the job just as well. Usually you stick the hex key in the chainring bolt, it comes undone, you remove it, change the chain ring, replace it. Even the pressure of your finger on the back of the bolt is enough to stop the nut swivelling round. I'd be VERY excited if Park were selling a useful tool for under a fiver though 🥳

D

Deleted member 1258

I bought one years ago thinking it would get well used. It's still in my tool box without ever seeing the light of day. It's a tool that never needed inventing as there are a multitude of other bits and pieces that do the job just as well. Usually you stick the hex key in the chainring bolt, it comes undone, you remove it, change the chain ring, replace it. Even the pressure of your finger on the back of the bolt is enough to stop the nut swivelling round. I'd be VERY excited if Park were selling a useful tool for under a fiver though 🥳

Mines had a lot of use over the years.

D

Deleted member 1258

According to some, you are clearly doing this wrong then!

Classic internet thread:
Q."Please recommend good tyre levers!"
A."You shouldn't need them."
A."you have crap technique."
A."Are you man or mouse??"
A."I don't understand why anyone needs tyre levers ... "

That sounds about right. :laugh: I've had mine about 20-25 years, they're a lot easier than trying to hold it with a finger, it doesn't always always work, looking for a flat bladed screwdriver that fits, I can never find one when I want one and it wastes a lot of time looking for it, other house hold items that might fit, same rules that apply to screwdriver apply to assorted household item.

I've never used one (hence my ignorance and my enquiry here!); from the pictures, the advantage over the "perfect plain screwdriver" appears to be that you're holding it like another allen wrench (while turning an allen wrench on the other side) i.e. your hands can be quite close together, and both get good leverage.
So there's a plus.
The likely cons would seem to be how well it fits, will it slip, etc.
And of course unknown unknowns. (such as looking like a total newb on cyclechat - what price can we put on THAT??)

Top Bottom