Parkes lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
Pretty much much built up now.

I did try it as a SS but didn't get on with it (too old and unfit), so have now fitted an old Atom four speed freewheel and it will give me an opportunity to put a lovely Suntour Cyclone derailleur to use (Getting new chain tomorrow, so fingers crossed will ride to pub this weekend for a quick try out).

IMG_1943.jpg

Also changed from the GB girder (short reach) stem, so that I could put on some Weinmann centre pulls

IMG_1946.jpg

I have used a length of string to finish off the handlebar grip, but intend to find some leather thong :unsure: to make a better job of it. I did try some 1mm leather but it was too fragile, also some brown stained sisal twine - to thick and hairy!
The more the bike comes together, the happier I feel about the green respray - may even fit some old mudguards that I took off a Raleigh.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 21

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@carpenter it's coming together nicely

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Pretty much much built up now.

I did try it as a SS but didn't get on with it (too old and unfit), so have now fitted an old Atom four speed freewheel and it will give me an opportunity to put a lovely Suntour Cyclone derailleur to use (Getting new chain tomorrow, so fingers crossed will ride to pub this weekend for a quick try out).

View attachment 456399

Also changed from the GB girder (short reach) stem, so that I could put on some Weinmann centre pulls

View attachment 456398

I have used a length of string to finish off the handlebar grip, but intend to find some leather thong :unsure: to make a better job of it. I did try some 1mm leather but it was too fragile, also some brown stained sisal twine - to thick and hairy!
The more the bike comes together, the happier I feel about the green respray - may even fit some old mudguards that I took off a Raleigh.
Try wrapping from the centre out putting a good bit of tension on the leather tape then using the 'bung' to finish off.

12boy

Guru
Twining the wrap ends with light colored twine can look really good if you then shellac the twine with amber shellac which will turn it brown and prevent it from wearing or coming off. I really like your tan sidewalls, saddle and leather handlebar tape together.

Top Bottom