Parking for the Etihad Stadium, Manchester?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Hi all,
Hoping some of the manchester-based peeps might be able to advise on this one- We're going to a concert at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday night (tomorrow/tonight, depending on when you read this!), and due to reasons beyond our control, won't be able to leave Liverpool (city centre) until about 5:30- I know it will take at least 50 minutes to get there, so it's cutting it a bit fine for the 7pm start!

Can anyone advise on a good place to aim to park the car? My current thinking is to aim to park closer to the city centre (maybe about a 20 minute walk from the stadium), then hotfoot it over that way, but not knowing that side of Manchester, I've got no idea where would be a good place to aim for that won't already have filled up with others who have the same idea!

I'm thinking maybe this sort of area? https://goo.gl/maps/wDBNVn23fyH2 Maybe someone can advise on if this sounds like a plan? It'd be an added bonus if the car was still there when we got back to it...(although it's only a 2001 model Polo, so probably not on most undesirables' must-have lists...!) Don't mind paying a couple of quid or so for a multistory or something if there is one in a suitable location.

Thanks,

Ian

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
I had the same problem two weeks ago for Teddy Sheeran.
In the end went straight into Etiad car park and only missed the support act.
However there was pop up car parks along the way their but decided not to use them.
Hope you sort it out.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For two big concerts we have used the parking on Riverpark Road which is off Briscoe Lane. It’s then a 6-7 minute walk through Philip’s Park cemetery to the stadium. This has good access to and from the M60 and in my experience isn’t very busy. This might extend your drive time from Liverpool.

We went to see Springsteen there a few years ago and there were special buses to the stadium from Piccadilly station. We walked back afterwards. I don’t recall how long it took but it wasn’t too bad.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Make sure you know which entrance you using, especially if time is tight, as you can waste 10 minutes by being on the wrong side of the stadium.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you're leaving Liverpool city centre I'd take the train to Piccadilly and then tram to the Etihad (it has its own stop)

Up to you but not sure driving would be the best option at that time

If you did drive I would just drive all the way there and park walking distance. There are loads of pop up private car parks when events are on (usually company car parks leased for the night)

KneesUp

Guru
Back in the day when I had a season card to watch Stuart Pearce’s side lose most weeks, I used to park on Store St. for free and walk up. No idea if it’s still free though. It’s near Piccadilly and it’s not a massive walk from the station anyway.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I presume for the Taylor Swift concert? If it's anything like Ed Sheeran there will be many road closures around the Clayton area.Many parking places will be taken by the time you get there, so unless there is a City supporter on here who can direct you to a specific place, I'd look at some of the side roads around Picadilly and grab the first you find. Picadilly is only a short walk from the Etihad.
If you get a tram from the stadium there could be long queues as I understand from my boss, there is on match days, when there are fewer people.
Pick your route away from the centre too. If you get on the ring road towards Bury/Salford you will pass the Arena where Tyson Fury is fighting tonight, so 20,000 or so expected to attend there. And there is a weekend concert at Heaton Park, so a number of people are likely to be heading into or through Manchester from that. I don't know what time that is due to finish, but I would guess 10.30 - 11pm because of local housing. The interweb might might have more information.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I presume for the Taylor Swift concert? If it's anything like Ed Sheeran there will be many road closures around the Clayton area.Many parking places will be taken by the time you get there, so unless there is a City supporter on here who can direct you to a specific place, I'd look at some of the side roads around Picadilly and grab the first you find. Picadilly is only a short walk from the Etihad.
If you get a tram from the stadium there could be long queues as I understand from my boss, there is on match days, when there are fewer people.
Pick your route away from the centre too. If you get on the ring road towards Bury/Salford you will pass the Arena where Tyson Fury is fighting tonight, so 20,000 or so expected to attend there. And there is a weekend concert at Heaton Park, so a number of people are likely to be heading into or through Manchester from that. I don't know what time that is due to finish, but I would guess 10.30 - 11pm because of local housing. The interweb might might have more information.
Hence public transport

Liverpool South Parkway to Piccadilly is 40 minutes. Tram to Etihad is 5 minutes. Drops you inside the stadium complex

I've taken the tram on match days and it can be busy, particularly after the game. Unless you're quick out of the concert it's probably quicker to walk back to Piccadilly which is about 20 minutes on foot

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hence public transport

Liverpool South Parkway to Piccadilly is 40 minutes. Tram to Etihad is 5 minutes. Drops you inside the stadium complex

I've taken the tram on match days and it can be busy, particularly after the game. Unless you're quick out of the concert it's probably quicker to walk back to Piccadilly which is about 20 minutes on foot

Service hopefully provided by TPE and not Northern. :smile:

OP
OP
irw

irw

Quadricyclist
Train not an option unfortunately...Lime Street is closed again at the moment, and the alternative route wouldn’t get us there on time. It’s also a lot more expensive for four of us!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Train not an option unfortunately...Lime Street is closed again at the moment, and the alternative route wouldn’t get us there on time. It’s also a lot more expensive for four of us!
In that case drive as close as you can to the stadium and use one of the pop up car parks. Don't drive into central Manchester

PaulB

Legendary Member
For two big concerts we have used the parking on Riverpark Road which is off Briscoe Lane. It’s then a 6-7 minute walk through Philip’s Park cemetery to the stadium. This has good access to and from the M60 and in my experience isn’t very busy. This might extend your drive time from Liverpool.

We went to see Springsteen there a few years ago and there were special buses to the stadium from Piccadilly station. We walked back afterwards. I don’t recall how long it took but it wasn’t too bad.
Problem with this cemetery is that unless you fancy a long walk around or are good at climbing fences, you shouldn't park on the other side because they close the gates about 5 o'clock (maybe earlier) on a Saturday. We had to pass my grandson through a gap in the fence and then climb over it in order to get out.

postman

Legendary Member
just a long distant memory of some advice Bill Shankly gave someone when asked how to get to Anfield.

Practice lad, aye practice.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
National cycling centre is nearby and has loads of parking. Don't think it is monitored normally as I park there when I take the mtb to Clayton Vale. Might be different on a concert night.

National cycling centre is nearby and has loads of parking. Don't think it is monitored normally as I park there when I take the mtb to Clayton Vale. Might be different on a concert night.
Think I saw a sign up yesterday when i called at the Asda next door saying that ,£5 or £10 though!
Just park up Briscoe lane or by the cemetery that's where all the footy fans park.

Top Bottom