Parking on Zig Zags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

At least once per week I have to pass a council van that parks on some zig zags near a busy zebra crossing, totally obscuring a driver's view of the crossing and its approach. It angers me every time, as while I am careful enough to slow right down (this is when I am driving) so I can stop if anybody is crossing, I know one day a less careful driver won't and somebody will get hurt. On this road, somebody has already been seriously hurt when they walked out between parked cars.

I am not a confrontational person, although about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I saw them and it was quiet I sounded my horn and pointed at the zig zags, obviously they didn't understand or didn't care.

Today I memorised the registration plate: is it worth reporting to the council or just leave it? I don't want to be a moaner, and I don't want somebody to lose their job, but what if I read a story next week about a child being knocked over. Or am I just taking my hatred of the council out on this one driver?
If you don't report them then accept some responsibility for the inevitable accident. I suggest taking a picture would of the vehicle and the driver. Note the police are in fact responsible for the actual parking offence. I constantly reported to the highways department about cars parked on the pavement forcing me to push my mothers wheelchair down and then up a high curb on a busy A road. After about 5 phone calls the idiots said we can't do anything about it, it's a police matter.

brand

[QUOTE 3468850, member: 45"]

Parking cameras will and do prevent repeats. As I said it's impossible to be a repeat offender once your license has been removed. Unless you carry on driving without one, but that's a different issue.[/QUOTE]
I like it, I like it a lot. They had to change the bus route in Louth because of scum bags blocking the narrow roads.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
If you don't report them then accept some responsibility for the inevitable accident. I suggest taking a picture would of the vehicle and the driver. Note the police are in fact responsible for the actual parking offence. I constantly reported to the highways department about cars parked on the pavement forcing me to push my mothers wheelchair down and then up a high curb on a busy A road. After about 5 phone calls the idiots said we can't do anything about it, it's a police matter.
I have reported to council because it's their vehicle, giving them the opportunity to educate their staff.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Aren't you then breaking the law when you pass a vehicle parked on the zig-zags ?
You could stop and create a traffic jam so that the police have to come out and sort it.

Aren't you then breaking the law when you pass a vehicle parked on the zig-zags ?
You could stop and create a traffic jam so that the police have to come out and sort it.

DEpends upon interpretation...

Highway Code:
You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

The emphasis is "moving"

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
No, only if it was stopped to let somebody cross. It's also out the line traffic would normally take too, as behind them is where official parking is, then that stops for the zigzags so cars/pedestrians get a clear view of one another, except the driver decided this is not necessary.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Well it took them a long time, but the council have now assured me they have spoken to the team involved and they will no longer park here. I must say since that email to the council I have not seen them parking on the zig zags, and it was at least a weekly occurrence before if not more.

Top Bottom