Parking on Zig Zags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
[QUOTE 3466234, member: 45"]You do know the differences between ants and humans?[/QUOTE]

It's an anology for encouraging poor behaviour and whichever way you look at it, if you allow silly things to happen then silly things will almost certainly happen with some degree of frequency. Not sure it's actually possible to eliminate the silliness though, but I suppose it's a matter of loss adjustment in the real world and lives aren't as important as business to some.

[QUOTE 3466563, member: 9609"]May be lots of drivers are like me and don't really know what the ziggy zaggy lines really mean - I presume you are not allowed to park or overtake or something but I really don't know.[/QUOTE]
Did you pass your driving test? If so, shame on you.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 3466563, member: 9609"]May be lots of drivers are like me and don't really know what the ziggy zaggy lines really mean - I presume you are not allowed to park or overtake or something but I really don't know.[/QUOTE]
If only there were a book, or an online resource, where people could look this stuff up. Perhaps the government could do something about it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3466230, member: 45"]I disagree. Nobody is forced to park illegally.[/QUOTE]
You're quite right, I'm not saying they are, simply that the inducement (for want of a better word) and non existent deterrent make it an easy option.

The Metrolink example proved the point of how quickly inherent bad behaviour could be modified by a visible policy of zero tolerance from the appropriate authority. Equally (hypothetically) if the council had approached the shops and told them they would be responsible for deterring drivers from bad parking on the shopfront at risk of sanction to themself then it would be stopped just as quickly as bad parkers realised inappropriate parking = you don't get served.

*edit: Just seen Adrian's Hove sign above. Bingo*

Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
[QUOTE 3466698, member: 45"]Nothing to do with business. All and only to do with laziness.[/QUOTE]

If it's nothing to do with business then why is the shop there in the 1st place? If the council had thought through every eventuality and come to a decision of whether or not to grant a commercial licence to the shop, then they would have included business as part of the decision. I agree with laziness though, but not all and only, else there'd be no such thing as encouraging or assisting crime. If A didnt exist then B wouldn't happen...as much.

People parking on zigzags is not a consequence of businesses operating there but for people being lazy.

It's like blaming someone for being stabbed by being in the way of the knife. It's all about the idiot breaking the law.

solitaire

Über Member
Personally speaking, I would definitely report it.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Do you think having a business with zigzags outside is like starting a fight with a person with a knife? You, sir, are a buffoon.

No, but you decided to bring knife play into things and made a very poor point, which I lovingly corrected. You sir, started the buffoonery and I sir, am happy to lower my standards to accomodate.

Edit / Addition - I don't actually think that anyones to blame for having a business, by the way, but this has taken a very wide deviation thanks to a lack of understanding of cause and effect. Right and wrong are different things altogether. The driver is obviously wrong.

Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Let's put it this way, is having a business with restrictions outside provocative in any way?

Depends what the business is, but generally speaking, no. I think the point raise by the individual though (not me by any stretch) was more in reference to the council granting permission to a place next to a crossing and not policing it adequately, as opposed to whether a shop is enticing people to park illegally. I'm all in favour of businesses. Wish there were more of them. Things might be cheaper then...including knives, if you like.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Let's put it this way, is having a business with restrictions outside provocative in any way?
Maybe not provocative, but downright stupid in some cases. I find this out quite regularly whilst driving articulated lorries. Some of the places that people have set up businesses which require palletised deliveries on large vehicles is ridiculous! The next question is always "I don't suppose you've got a forklift then?", errrr........

Top Bottom