Parking on Zig Zags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Near to where i live the council granted two applications for take aways right in line with zebra crossings. So now the zig zags are parked on while food is picked up and they've even been seen parked on the crossing itself! Stupid greedy council ignoring safety implications for the sake of gaining more council tax business rates!:headshake:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

The shops were empty before so the council had no right to charge business rates council tax but now they can.They've put financial income before public safety as they knew that those who use take aways will ignore the laws about not parking on zig zags and the crossing itself!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I suppose if they put the takeaways a long way from a zebra crossing, a child might be overcome by the urge for a kebab and rush out into the road and get run over. What then?

Well i've witnessed cars/taxis pulling up to pick up food parked on the zig zags you haven't so there! Maybe you're a dimwhit councillor yourself?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can see that it is a valid idea that take aways shouldn't be sited where the customers can cause an obstruction. I don't understand why you see this as greed though. I also wonder where this will leave every other business where customers arrive in cars.

I don't know if you have experiences of take aways but the delivery drivers and customers tend to park outside while the place is open. Usually late at night whereas other businesses are closed then. If it was another form of outlet the zig zags would be safe from obstruction after 5pm,but then not many would park on the zig zags in the first place if they were visiting a different form of outlet. However this "I'm only stopping for a few minutes" is somehow accepted when stopping to fill their bellies and the council know this happens. Therefore they've allowed it to happen so that they can rake in business rates! Next you'll be asking how they know it happens i suppose.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Well i've witnessed cars/taxis pulling up to pick up food parked on the zig zags you haven't so there! Maybe you're a dimwhit councillor yourself?
@User13710 @User for completeness .

Oldham's Metrolink trams run along one particular road with a lot of takeaway outlets. When they first started, people still parked on the road outside on the double yellows and stopped the trams & following traffic for minutes at a time. The council had to permanently park a traffic enforcement car on the layby opposite for weeks on end to stop them doing it, we even had pics in the paper of people parking their cars diagonally across the full width of the pavement directly outside the shop thinking this was ok. Rather than use the bays on the opposite side of the street or a quiet side street, cos that meant a walk of maybe 15-20 seconds.

My local chippy has a zebra crossing v close and railings across the pavement outside the shop. Taxis still park directly outside it and not only is it the drivers but customers too hopping out walking along the road to get round the railings to Oder & pick up. It is quite a fast road, built up area & we get occasional police.'did you see.... boards & floral tributes to new collision victims or anniversaries of older ones in the vicinity.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you haven't also reported it to the police, do so.
If you have the time and inclination stop one day and get photographic evidence.
If you don't get anywhere go to the local press - they love stuff like this.

Regarding the derail, it's no one's responsibility but the driver for whether they choose to park in a dangerous and illegal place. If it wasn't takeaways there it would be other shops.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3466161, member: 45"]Here are a couple of takeaways where we used to live.

I never parked inconsideratedly or illegally when visiting. It's not the outlet that's the issue.[/QUOTE]
Neither do I at mine, again, quiet non residential side street seconds away.

However to say that they are not the issue is too simplistic, they are the contributory factor for the bad parking and in the many times I've been there when bad parking has occurred they have never once spoken out or advised the vehicle occupant of the dangers or the readily accessible alternative.

It is a shared responsibility with bad drivers, supine owners and a disinterested council both in granting licences with seemingly no thought to infrastructure nor providing any enforcement - unless there is an extreme and high profile embarrassment like holding up the Manchester wide metro system.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Neither do I at mine, again, quiet non residential side street seconds away.

However to say that they are not the issue is too simplistic, they are the contributory factor for the bad parking and in the many times I've been there when bad parking has occurred they have never once spoken out or advised the vehicle occupant of the dangers or the readily accessible alternative.

It is a shared responsibility with bad drivers, supine owners and a disinterested council both in granting licences with seemingly no thought to infrastructure nor providing any enforcement - unless there is an extreme and high profile embarrassment like holding up the Manchester wide metro system.

Agree. Crazy thing is that if McDonalds wanted to open a restaurant opposite a school, there'd be complete outrage. Probably not for the danger of taking a life in the main either, but for littering and dietry issues. Also have to agree that, ultimately, it's the peoples faults for parking there, but if you place a bag of sugar in the street, for whatever reason, you're going to get ants, so the wise thing to do is not place it there in the first place, else it's your fault the ants decided to feed.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 3466234, member: 45"]You do know the differences between ants and humans?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. One is a group where, despite the individuals possessing little intelligence, complex social structure and elaborate behaviour has emerged, and the other....

Oh, wait.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3466096, member: 45"]Usually late at night the crossing will have minimal use. You're arguing yourself out of a position.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if the crossing is used say only every 15 minutes at night. The fact is that if there's a car parked on the actual crossing the person wanting to cross is going to have difficulty reaching the other side! Especially when there's a large wagon parked up at night doing a delivery to the take away which i see quite a lot! Some might say why not just cross a few yards up or down the road as there's little traffic at night, but if they did and were involved in an accident the police would be asking why they didn't use the "safe"pelican crossing. By the way i'v seen a police car parked up on the zig zags while the law enforcing officer is inside waiting for his take away!

Top Bottom