Parking on Zig Zags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
At least once per week I have to pass a council van that parks on some zig zags near a busy zebra crossing, totally obscuring a driver's view of the crossing and its approach. It angers me every time, as while I am careful enough to slow right down (this is when I am driving) so I can stop if anybody is crossing, I know one day a less careful driver won't and somebody will get hurt. On this road, somebody has already been seriously hurt when they walked out between parked cars.

I am not a confrontational person, although about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I saw them and it was quiet I sounded my horn and pointed at the zig zags, obviously they didn't understand or didn't care.

Today I memorised the registration plate: is it worth reporting to the council or just leave it? I don't want to be a moaner, and I don't want somebody to lose their job, but what if I read a story next week about a child being knocked over. Or am I just taking my hatred of the council out on this one driver?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
obviously they didn't understand or didn't care

Whichever it is, you have just answered your own question. The driver needs to be made to understand the implications.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Report the nobber to the Police and/or the council. It isn't a simple parking ticket offence, it's 3 points on the driver's licence plus a fine (£100 ?).

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks. I have just reported it to the council.

I can't take it to the police as I don't have evidence. I guess the reason they stop on the zig zags is because there are no parking spaces, so I would experience their problem in stopping safely to get a picture! However, if it persists, I will make some effort to do both (unlike them!).

Why are you reluctant to report a crime, get it done.
Up to now I have never noted the registration or details. Only because today there was traffic I found myself stopped just behind the van with enough time to look at the plate and commit to memory.

I wondered what others would do, as I felt like maybe I was being a bit too harsh for some reason; if I reported every crime I'd not get chance to ride my bike!

discominer

Thanks. I have just reported it to the council.

I can't take it to the police as I don't have evidence. I guess the reason they stop on the zig zags is because they dgaf about anyone else and believe they have a divine right so to do, so I would experience their problem in stopping safely to get a picture! However, if it persists, I will make some effort to do both (unlike them!).

Up to now I have never noted the registration or details. Only because today there was traffic I found myself stopped just behind the van with enough time to look at the plate and commit to memory.

I wondered what others would do, as I felt like maybe I was being a bit too harsh for some reason; if I reported every crime I'd not get chance to ride my bike!

FTFY

Well done. You've said it's there regularly, the council needs to be aware of it that one of their employees is breaking the law in one of their vehicles. It reflects badly on the Council and I'd be surprised if the drivers superior wasn't too happy about a member of the public reporting it. It may be considered a disciplinary offence.
If it was a one-off, maintaining the lights of the crossing or something then I can understand it. But in that case I would expect to see some sort of warning notices or cones out as the worksite should have been risk assessed before work started

TVC

Highway Code rule 191: "You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines." In this case the wording "must not" indicates a legal requirement.

They are breaking the law and by the sounds of it are regular law breakers. Worth reporting IMO.
Except of course if you are picking your child up outside school, then it is compulsary.

Top Bottom