Part upgrade B Twin groupset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need your help, support and advice please...
I would like make some changes to the groupset of B Twin Triban 3. The reason is that its gears are very clunky and brake calipers are not very good. Rather than changing the entire groupset, can I do just the following.

Change the rear gears from 8 to 10 speed by simply changing the rear cog and derailleur?
Change the rear and front snifters
But no change to the front mech.

My reason for doing it this way is to reduce the cost from cost of components and labour.

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I think it depends which 10 speed bits you use - the new tiagra 10s has different pull ratios, but the older 10s road setups have the same pull ratio mechs for 8,9,10 sp. Dura ace is different I think. You might be able to make 10s shifters and cassette work with 9 sp chain and 8sp derailleurs? If you're buying new parts you might find you can buy a complete groupset for similar money.

the new tiagra 10s has different pull ratios, but the older 10s road setups have the same pull ratio mechs for 8,9,10 sp. Dura ace is different I think. .
I am sure you can use the older 10sp cassettes on the new Tiagra 10sp, and setting up a 10sp brifter on an 8sp emmm well,
The biggest difference is in the cog to cog spacing and the thickness of the cog itself, it gets narrow (both spacing and cog, not got specs to hand) so as you increase the number of rear gears you need less pull on the cable to move from one gear to the next. I can't see Shimano introducing a new 10sp system that isn't compatible with previous equipment i.e. 10sp cassettes.
@midliferider as @the snail pointed out its easier just to replace your brifters rear cassette and probably the RD (FD is probably a good idea too), you can at this point decide whether to stay with a triple or go for a double, if you go with the new triple tiagra your front chainset should be fine.

I need your help, support and advice please...
I would like make some changes to the groupset of B Twin Triban 3. The reason is that its gears are very clunky and brake calipers are not very good. Rather than changing the entire groupset, can I do just the following.

Change the rear gears from 8 to 10 speed by simply changing the rear cog and derailleur?
Change the rear and front snifters
But no change to the front mech.

My reason for doing it this way is to reduce the cost from cost of components and labour.
A 10sp chain is narrower (externally) than an 8sp one, because of the rear cassette has closer grouped gearing, you can use a 9sp chain on an 8sp setup, but moving from 8sp chain to a 10sp chain the FD might not shift cleanly, it should work as it is at the end of the day only a small amount, it is something I have never done so I can't really comment, I personally would stick with a triple as you have many more options regarding gearing over a double.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Most will take 8-10 speed, even 11 if not Shimano.
Here is the info on stock triban wheels you can buy in store
1 wheel with aluminium hub, watertight seals and quick-release system. Composition: aluminium rim and hub. For 8/9/10-speed cassette with optional 7-speed ring mount. Machined rim walls. Weight: 1 212 g

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Personally I wouldn't spend over £150 on upgrading a Triban 3. Get the gears set up properly, as they shouldn't be 'clunky' and fit decent brake pads. Maybe get a Shimano front brake - the back brake doesn't do all that much. But well over a ton on going to 10 speed? I wouldn't.

Personally I wouldn't spend over £150 on upgrading a Triban 3. Get the gears set up properly, as they shouldn't be 'clunky' and fit decent brake pads. Maybe get a Shimano front brake - the back brake doesn't do all that much. But well over a ton on going to 10 speed? I wouldn't.
Still cheap than a new bike, not all of us can afford that, my Viking started off as a 7sp triple, the improvements I have made when I have had some cash has made a world of difference, its still quite heavy but I don't race ect.. the closer grouping and low gearing (if choose to make low) currently 26-111" enables me to carry quite a bit of weight without to much of a struggle up hill, its not often I go that low, usually the 38x27 is low as I normally go, and have a good range of gears 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27 to keep a good cadence.
So yes changing from an 8sp triple to a 10sp triple is worth it, chances are that it is possible to reuse the FD and RD as well, would need to test to be sure.

OP
OP
midliferider
Thank you all for your replies.
The bike is just 3 years old. I find it very comfortable. It fits me well. I usually ride 30-40 miles on Saturdays and it is much better fit than more expensive carbon bike. I have taken it on a tour to Portugal, it was very comfortable riding for one week.

Bike's gears are well set up, meaning they move up and down without problem. It tuned it during my maintenance course. But the sifters are not STI.

But I do not want to spend £250 for a complete group set.

I was looking at some second hand or used group sets on e bay. I can buy most components for about£50-75. But they are not complete.

I want to keep the front mechanism but will change the shifters to STI.

I'm more wondering what would actually be gained by fitting new STIs. In terms of riding pleasure, better wheels and tyres would be far more worthwhile.
@midliferider was asking about changing specific equipment, having a wider choice of gears can be just as pleasurable as new wheels, tyres well they tend to get changed as needed.
@midliferider you could just get the 8sp claris brifters, you then wouldn't need to change anything but the brifters. if you shop around should pick them up cheaper.

OP
OP
midliferider
@midliferider was asking about changing specific equipment, having a wider choice of gears can be just as pleasurable as new wheels, tyres well they tend to get changed as needed.
@midliferider you could just get the 8sp claris brifters, you then wouldn't need to change anything but the brifters. if you shop around should pick them up cheaper.

Yes, that is a good idea.
If I change the STI leavers (brifters), do I need to change the front and rear derailleur at the same time?

Top Bottom