1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Part works magazines.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by col, 27 Dec 2007.

1. col

col Veteran

Have you had one of these in the passed,there have been,hms vicory,a radio controlled car,a plane,i bet the list goes on.
    Iv also just seen the flying scotsman one thats been advertised lately on the tv,whats your thoughts on it?

2. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Whatever floats your boat.

3. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

probably a very expensive way of building a model. but as above, if they make someone happy why not?

4. Bloody expensive way to build a poor model methinks, you'd be better off visiting your local independent modeling shop.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

These things have RIP OFF written all over them in large letters.

6. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

These are the ones where you buy the first issue for £1.99, then the subsequent 89 for £6.99 making, er quite a lot. Then at the end you are the proud owner of a crap model for 7x the cost if bought from a model shop.

Having said that, when I was about 12 I got the first few copies of "How to Fish" or something. I looked forward each week to picking it up, but they stopped it after a month or so, because seemingly only me and my mate were buying it (probably in the whole country!!!);)

7. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I always look forward to partwork season. For some reason they amuse me hugely on account of being utterly crap.;)

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Very few people who start buying part works go the distance. There was recently one which let you build a radio controlled model of the Bismark, the total cost would have been nearly £800. As said, going to a model shop is much cheaper.

9. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

The Scotsman is in 125 parts at £4.99 each. Thats a lot of money:ohmy:

10. OP
    OP
    col

col Veteran

Seeing as your all putting it like that,ill give it a miss:smile:

11. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Making models is an enjoyable pastime, even better if you can fly/sail/drive what you make. If model-making interest you, find a good local model-shop and start from there,they're usually run by enthusiasts who will hopefully get you started on something worthwhile for a lot less cash than the Flying Scotsman.

12. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Airfix.

There, that's all you need to know.

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

They didn't work though!

I have a collection of radio control cars and motorcycles, all built from kits. It is a few years since I made any but it is a very enjoyable hobby.

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Airfix were on R4 the other day I think, have they bought out Hornby or something?

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member