Partitioning and dual-booting linux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've contemplated this for a time. Is it possible to create a new partition and install linux on a pc that already has Windows Xp Home on it without having to reformat and repartition the drive first? The drive currently has only the one partition and I want to be able to dual boot.

Is there some good freeware that can handle the partitioning starting from this situation?

Mike Rudkin

I seem to remember an application already in XP called 'Disk Manager' but I've forgotten how to access it now :-)

scook94

Veteran
I did that many moons ago on my old PC, I can't remember the tool I used, it might have been Partition Magic.

Easiest way would be to buy a second disk and put Linux on there.

redjedi

Über Member
I don't know about all Linux distros, but Ubuntu and Kubuntu can partition the hard drive at the start of the installation, leaving your Windows un-touched.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
redjedi said:
I don't know about all Linux distros, but Ubuntu and Kubuntu can partition the hard drive at the start of the installation, leaving your Windows un-touched.

This is what I was hoping.

Although the earlier suggestion of adding another hd and booting from there isn't out of the question either, I'd kind of like to achieve the goal in the least disruptive way possible. If I can just install the linux without disturbing Xp and without adding new hardware, that would be great.

redjedi

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
This is what I was hoping.

Although the earlier suggestion of adding another hd and booting from there isn't out of the question either, I'd kind of like to achieve the goal in the least disruptive way possible. If I can just install the linux without disturbing Xp and without adding new hardware, that would be great.

That's exactly what will happen. IT's very easy to do as well, even with my very limited knowledge of particians, I could have done it.

It's one of the first options when you go through the installation process. You get a little slider to say how much space you want to give to Windows and how much to Ubuntu. Or just format the hard drive (which is what I did)

Installion tutorial with piccies

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
+1
This is what I did on my laptop. I defragmented it first as a precaution.

Mr Pig

Simplest way is to boot off an external hard drive. You just plug it in and away you go, no need to mess with the main computer at all.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
redjedi said:
That's exactly what will happen. IT's very easy to do as well, even with my very limited knowledge of particians, I could have done it.

It's one of the first options when you go through the installation process. You get a little slider to say how much space you want to give to Windows and how much to Ubuntu. Or just format the hard drive (which is what I did)

Installion tutorial with piccies

That's great - I'll give it a try over the weekend. ;)

JamesAC

scook94 said:
I did that many moons ago on my old PC, I can't remember the tool I used, it might have been Partition Magic.

Easiest way would be to buy a second disk and put Linux on there.

+1.
There is always a risk that you will screw up your existing data and o/s when you re-partition a disk. Much better option to install a second disk (piece of cake) and install a linux distro on that.

I installed Debian, and that took care of creating the linux partitions on the new drive, and creating the dual-boot menu (grub).

I use now linux for everything other than scanning (I can't find a driver for my scanner) and one or two bits of software that only work under Windows.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
JamesAC said:
+1.
There is always a risk that you will screw up your existing data and o/s when you re-partition a disk. Much better option to install a second disk (piece of cake) and install a linux distro on that.

I installed Debian, and that took care of creating the linux partitions on the new drive, and creating the dual-boot menu (grub).

I use now linux for everything other than scanning (I can't find a driver for my scanner) and one or two bits of software that only work under Windows.

My son's said the same and has just donated me a 40gb drive he's replaced with a whopping one - 40gb is not huge nowadays, but plenty for trying out a linux install. So I think I might try the 'extra drive' approach out on my backup pc first.

D

Deleted member 1258

Beanzontoast you can run Ubuntu from the Ubuntu installation CD without installing it on the PC and theres a Partition Editor on the Ubuntu installation CD that you can use to resize the Windows Partition, its a little slow though and you need to back up your data first. Theres a how to here using a gparted CD thats the same as on the installation CD.
http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

It says modify your Linux system on the how to but a windows partition can be modified as well.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
dave r said:
Beanzontoast you can run Ubuntu from the Ubuntu installation CD without installing it on the PC and theres a Partition Editor on the Ubuntu installation CD that you can use to resize the Windows Partition, its a little slow though and you need to back up your data first. Theres a how to here using a gparted CD thats the same as on the installation CD.
http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

It says modify your Linux system on the how to but a windows partition can be modified as well.

Thanks Dave :smile:

Top Bottom