Partly blocked arteries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Two of my brothers have had stems fitted because of partly blocked arteries. One was 73% blocked and the other 90%. We have genetic cholesterol problems in our family and I have been on statins for a good 20 years now but how do I know my arteries are clear?
I have 6 monthly blood tests and every time my doctors says I am within the limit.
So my question is: can I ask my doctor for a proper test to check my arteries and what does it involve?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cannot comment on arteries in general but my heart valves are ( tho’ covid has interrupted that) checked by ultrasound. I have also had a suspect narrowing in my neck checked again by ultrasound. The neck was given the all clear but my heart is supposed to be checked annually. The latest covid variant has meant the one due now has been postponed. Arterial stenosis is the problem which could mean a new valve needed if I live long enough.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
An angiogram will show how clogged your coronary arteries are. The doctors feed a thin tube into a fairly major blood vessel in your upper thigh and thread it up through your vascular system to your heart. Don't worry, you don't feel a thing but it can be a bit uncomfortable while they make the initial incision. Then they inject a dye into your heart that shows up on X rays. From that, they can see how open or clogged your arteries are. I've had a couple of them and they don't take very long, about twenty minutes. You don't need any anaesthetics and it can be done as an outpatient.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
An angiogram will show how clogged your coronary arteries are. The doctors feed a thin tube into a fairly major blood vessel in your upper thigh and thread it up through your vascular system to your heart. Don't worry, you don't feel a thing but it can be a bit uncomfortable while they make the initial incision. Then they inject a dye into your heart that shows up on X rays. From that, they can see how open or clogged your arteries are. I've had a couple of them and they don't take very long, about twenty minutes. You don't need any anaesthetics and it can be done as an outpatient.
I had the same, but they went in through my wrist, it’s most peculiar looking at your arteries on a huge tv screen

DRM

Guru
I would have much preferred the wrist, not least because of the embarrassment of having a stranger fiddling about in your groin.
When they finished they fitted a bracelet thing that screwed down tight on the incision iirc it had to stay on 20 minutes, possibly longer, to give it a chance to clot, I can’t imagine what is used in the groin area

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When they finished they fitted a bracelet thing that screwed down tight on the incision iirc it had to stay on 20 minutes, possibly longer, to give it a chance to clot, I can’t imagine what is used in the groin area
When they open up the blood vessel to get the catheter in, there's a fair bit of blood leakage which ended up on the green rubber sheet I was lying on. It looked quite alarming but I didn't see it until the end of the procedure. In order to stem the leak, they use a collagen plug as a sealant and that stays on your thigh for a few days. Fortunately I'm not particular squeamish because I used to watch my veterinary surgeon father operating on animals from early childhood. I think that they do offer patients some sedatives if they ask for them.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

I had a DSA (cerebral angiogram) a couple of years ago, with the probe going in through my groin. In my case, it involved 20 minute sustained pressure on the incision by a junior doctor once the probe was pulled out.

Mate of mine lost his wife to cancer when the only son was still in primary school. He started to fret about a heartache although he was fit looking. The fear was leaving his son an orphan. He went to the GP a few times and we thought it was psychological as he himself did not have any symptoms. Finally GP caved in and sent him for angiogram and he had blockages in 3 places and ended up with 3 stents.

With OP's family history and with stents an all, I would persuade the GP for an angiogram.

pawl

Legendary Member
I was sent for an Angiogram some years ago as I passed out when my heart rate went above 100 BPM.
As others have said it is a fairly simple procedure
The diagnosis showed one of the flaps in the Aortic valve was not fully opening restricting blood flow
The only problem I had following that procedure was wanting to pee .I had to have a short period laying down to recover Despite only being a couple of steps from the toilet the nurse wouldn’t let me get up and gave me the dreaded urine bottle This is where it got embarrassing I couldn’t stop and filled the bottle to overflowing The nurse did have a bit of a laugh .Must have brightened her day :sun::sun::sun:

DRM

Guru
I had a DSA (cerebral angiogram) a couple of years ago, with the probe going in through my groin. In my case, it involved 20 minute sustained pressure on the incision by a junior doctor once the probe was pulled out.
That’s what I suspected would happen, by going in via the wrist I suppose it’s a junior doctor that’s available to do something else, the bracelet used on me did look like something from the Spanish Inquisition!

Top Bottom