Pashley delivery bike, what have I taken on ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Picked this up yesterday from a friend having a garage clear out. A pre war Pashley delivery bike which is in need of a lot of TLC. It's been in his family from new. I think it's complete, even down to the sign which advertises a plumber.
It's my first project like this and my intention is to try and get it useable, rather than pristine, powder coated in all likelihood. Any pointers to good web sites for bits like brake blocks would be gratefully received. Or is it not really worth the bother?
20160223_144859.jpg

20160223_144910.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Only you can know if the effort, the journey, and the final satisfaction would be worth the bother.

I don't think it is worth much, it would be an ignoble end for it to survive The Bosche only to die like this.

tyred

Legendary Member
Doesn't look too bad. Most of it will be re-usable and the frame will probably clean up better than you'd ever think with some elbow grease.

I'd suspect the rims, bars, etc were probably painted black rather than chromed on a trade bike so I'd do likewise. If the rims and spokes are sound, I'd just paint them black.

ian c

That looks an interesting little project. With a bit of care it should all come apart nicely although doubtless you'll be buying penetrating oil by the gallon to get it apart without snapping any fasteners.

And if you don't fancy doing it, let me know - that would look lovely next to my Wearwell! :smile:

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Thanks everyone good to have encouragement. I'm not looking to make a profit but just wondering where to get cotter pins and similar from. That said I've been taking a few bits off it and been pleasantly surprised how easily they've come off.

The frame is quite badly pitted. I've had frames powder coated before, but they've been quite smooth to start with. Anyone know how much pitting a powder coat would cover? I know I could paint it myself which could cover a lot, but I do find powder coating a good tough finish.

PS it's a single speed as it is, must have been very hard to pedal when loaded. Granville must have had thighs of steel.

Drago

Legendary Member
Powder coating can cover a fair bit. Different coatings, such a Nylon, even more so.

If it's that badly pitted its worth soft media blasting so it can inspected for holes, thin spots, cracks etc

That going to be a fun little project, and once complete I dare you to ride it about town in a white smock coat and straw boater ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
Hubs, BB cups and spindle, headset will all probably clean up just fine unless you are going for concours. Just clean them well and replace the ball bearings.

Free out and keep the original brake linkages even if they do look a bit tatty as the replacement ones you see on Ebay are made from recycled marshmallows (DAMHIKT).

I think trade bikes may have used larger brake pads but whatever they are, you should find something suitable on the Fibrax website.

Plenty of people selling cotterpins on Ebay but your own can probably be re-used if they come out without getting bent or damaged threads (and again they will be better quality steel than new ones).

It's possible you will find you have a 3/16" chain rather than the 1/8" you will find on "light" single speed bikes. Unless you are changing the freewheel or chainwheel, I'd soak it in diesel for a few days, clean it and hang up to dry, then place in a saucepan with some engine oil and heat gently outside over a camping stove to thin the oil and flow into the rivets/bushings. Will be silky smooth after that.

shadaboot27

If you want the bike to just be usable but still look good, satin black hammerite is pretty good. I did all of these with it. If you let it cure in a warm dry place for a few weeks it's very durable and the finish actually looks alright considering it was brushed on. You can also get it in a spray can if you want a more even finish but it's slightly more expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 110
Beware of old ladies!

I have one in my stable with rod brakes, and done out in Hovis livery

It is a superb machine, providing you realise that stopping quickly is NOT going to happen and ride accordingly

However you have to realise that for the majority of the female population in their late 70"s plus ther ewas a romantic evening when a boyfriend has taken the home in the basket of one of these machines... and they love to share the stories

Top Bottom