Pashley Picador 1983 - Does and don'ts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Phillip_S

Regular
Brilliant.... thanks raleighnut for that piece of information, I'll look again at the "freewheel" and see if I can figure out why it's not running as easily as it did when I first got it.... Corning is entertaining....

OP
OP
P

Phillip_S

Regular
Hi Phil
I’m changing the rear wheels on mine so I’ve just had to machine new bearings and left one of them running free Just loosen the nut a fraction on the one that was free running.

Wow .... machine new bearings... that sounds really good.
OK got ...."Just loosen the nut a fraction on the one that was free running" that makes sense ....I perhaps was over zealous with the spanner tightening up the wheel (large chrome nut)... it was a bit loose when I first looked at it....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
On the rear axle of my Kentex there are 8 bearings in total although 2 are redundant serving only to locate the axle on the drive side,

also when 'freewheeling' the entire axle and secondary chain continue to rotate with the freewheel unit being located in the rear gear cluster or in your case the SA hub so there is a heck of a lot of 'stuff' causing drag. The wheel on the 'non-drive' side is held on on mine by a Nylock' nut which must be left slightly loose or it pinches the bearings in the hub and prevents the wheel fromm spinning freely.

DSCN0047.JPG

On the driven side the wheel locates on 3 prongs to the corresponding holes in the hub flange that lock it to the axle (that makes the bearings in that wheel redundant)
There will be something similar on your Pashley but it may be a keyway on the axle shaft nevertheless the driven wheel will be locked to the axle somehow

Wow .... machine new bearings... that sounds really good.
OK got ...."Just loosen the nut a fraction on the one that was free running" that makes sense ....I perhaps was over zealous with the spanner tightening up the wheel (large chrome nut)... it was a bit loose when I first looked at it....

Phil if you have loosened the nut ensure the locking tab is in place otherwise it could come undone.I’m going to add a little serviceable lock tight on mine when it goes back together also.I don’t know about yours but mine only has nylon bearings on the wheels and proper bearings on the axle,as I’m changing the wheels I’ve machined some bronze bearings that will last longer.

On the rear axle of my Kentex there are 8 bearings in total although 2 are redundant serving only to locate the axle on the drive side,

also when 'freewheeling' the entire axle and secondary chain continue to rotate with the freewheel unit being located in the rear gear cluster or in your case the SA hub so there is a heck of a lot of 'stuff' causing drag. The wheel on the 'non-drive' side is held on on mine by a Nylock' nut which must be left slightly loose or it pinches the bearings in the hub and prevents the wheel fromm spinning freely.

View attachment 651814

On the driven side the wheel locates on 3 prongs to the corresponding holes in the hub flange that lock it to the axle (that makes the bearings in that wheel redundant)
There will be something similar on your Pashley but it may be a keyway on the axle shaft nevertheless the driven wheel will be locked to the axle somehow

Thanks for the info all I can see is the nylon hub bearings on mine nothing to see that is securing it.

There’s only one driven wheel - on the left. Our Picador (about the same vintage as yours) just had nylon bushes rather than proper ball bearings. It was terrifying to ride at any speed so the added friction wasn’t a hinderance!

I do have a Ken Rogers “Clubman” lightweight trike which I’ve put a reasonable number of miles on, so I’m not unfamiliar with upright trikes, but I found the Pashley a really tricky beast to ride!

Top Bottom