Pashley rear wheel rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonEd

I took my Pashley Princess to a bike shop with a good reputation for a replacement inner tube. Everything is pretty old but was working nicely and running quietly but I had a slow puncture. We took it home in our van and when we got back there was a distinct rubbing sound from the wheel (which I don’t think was present when we wheeled it out of the shop). I assumed the rear mud-guard had been knocked in the van and pulled it back a little - rubbing noise went.

I’ve just been for a ride and there was a screaming from the rear wheel. I fiddled with the skirt guards and it improved to the point that it’s now just a ‘chirping’ sound as I ride (which is louder when i stop peddling and let it freewheel for a bit).

If I poke my finger up under the mud guard, it feels very close on one side - possibly touching slightly - but the mud guard has already been adjusted as far as it will go.

Is there anything that could easily have been knocked out of alignment or something from leaning it on its side in the van? It was a pretty gentle journey back - not much bumping - and it was laid on a blanket to cushion it a bit. I would ask the shop to have a look for me but I’m not likely to make it there for a couple of weeks and I want to get out on it while I’m motivated.

OP
OP
LemonEd

LemonEd

Never mind - sorted now.
The rear wheel hadn’t been tightened properly on one side and is very slightly buckled but removing the skirt guard has cured the squeal as one of the clips seems to be the point it was rubbing at. For my pottering around the bike is now functional enough :smile:

I think the experience may have encouraged me to be braver about trying out a bit of maintenance for myself.

Top Bottom