Pashley Roadster 5 speed gear slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone. I’m having a little nightmare with a Pashley Sovereign Roadster 5 speed I’ve bought second hand off Gumtree. It’s over 10 years old but I can’t seem to get the gears set up properly. It either slips in third on the flat and when I adjust the yellow marker around to it’s factory recommended position to fix that it then slips in first when I hit any gradient at all. It’s running Sturmey Archer 5 Speed X-RD5 (W) sa hub with a Yellow Indicator Rod marking. I think Its the SL50 shifter which doesn’t seem to pull back to the detent positions under pressure from the spring in the hub when moving down the gears from 5th to 1st. I do click it in manually of course when riding and I also make sure it’s in when lining up the mark. I put a brand new cable on and am talking about a hub rebuild. Pashley have said that at over 10 years old it’s likely shot. Love the bike and this is spoiling the craic, any recommendations or experience of this? Thanks in advance

classic33

Leg End Member

Thanks I’ve already downloaded that pdf sent by Pashley in preparation for a strip and rebuild and am just hoping someone has had this problem and I may be missing something at this stage. I’ve recently heard for example that a new chain might be a likely candidate for a fix and as I don’t know the bikes history I’m ordering one to try. I appreciate your input though.

John_Barrett

Hello everyone. I’m having a little nightmare with a Pashley Sovereign Roadster 5 speed I’ve bought second hand off Gumtree. It’s over 10 years old but I can’t seem to get the gears set up properly. It either slips in third on the flat and when I adjust the yellow marker around to it’s factory recommended position to fix that it then slips in first when I hit any gradient at all. It’s running Sturmey Archer 5 Speed X-RD5 (W) sa hub with a Yellow Indicator Rod marking. I think Its the SL50 shifter which doesn’t seem to pull back to the detent positions under pressure from the spring in the hub when moving down the gears from 5th to 1st. I do click it in manually of course when riding and I also make sure it’s in when lining up the mark. I put a brand new cable on and am talking about a hub rebuild. Pashley have said that at over 10 years old it’s likely shot. Love the bike and this is spoiling the craic, any recommendations or experience of this? Thanks in advance

Hello Ghinwha, I have a Pashley Speed 5 which has had exactly the same gear selection problem from new. I took it back to the dealer who couldn't fix it but told me "they all do that". ( He has since gone out of business). I have emailed Pashley several times and they have not replied, I wrote to them and they did not reply to my letter. I suppose having got my money they don't care any more. So I wouldn't go to the trouble of rebuilding the gears . As for being worn out at 10 years old, I have a 1930s Raleigh roadster the gears of which still work perfectly so I doubt it's wear. I do not think it is an actual gear box problem as once selected properly the gears do not slip. I think it is an indexing problem with the selection lever, the positions on the lever don't match the actual gears positions in the box so it doesn't fully engage the gear. I have it on my to do list to modify the selector lever to see if I can get the lever to match the box. I will let you know the results.

Top Bottom