Passing horses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I first saw the thread title I thought of something completely different and it put me in mind of that song by Burl Ives ‘I know an old lady who swallowed a fly’.
The last line appropriately enough was, ‘I know an old lady who swallowed a horse, she’s dead, of course’.
It was one of the relatively few records I had as a child, to be played on the ole GEC radiogram.

bladesman73

Über Member
I'd define shouting (at someone) to be a deliberate intention to startle. What kind or a***hole does that?

I prefer a quieter approach: humming, murmuring, singing, conversational-level speech, clearing-of-the-throat, or a cough. All good ways to attract attention; build-up to a gentle call if necessary, but never a need to shout.

As a solo night rider, it's wild animals rather than horses that I'm more worried about startling. Think badgers and deer running suddenly breaking cover and running in front.
So when I'm descending at speed past woodland or hedgerows, I make a continual burble of noises to forewarn animals of my approach so they can slink away in good time. Surely I'm not the only person to do this?
You would be surprised how many idiots my wife has had, whilst on her horse, shout 'cyclist coming' as if they are warning of a nuclear bomb approaching. Horses have good peripheral vision, so just approach wide and slow, the horse will notice you, so will the rider

bladesman73

Über Member
So don't shout.

I generally say "bike behind you", if the rider has not already looked round. Riders hear me, horses are not alarmed (and they have probably cottoned on to my presence first anyway). Everyone happy.
You would be surprised how many idiots shout 'cyclist coming' when approaching horse and rider. No need to say a word, horses have good peripheral vision, so approach wide and slow. The horse will see you, so will the rider.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You would be surprised how many idiots shout 'cyclist coming' when approaching horse and rider. No need to say a word, horses have good peripheral vision, so approach wide and slow. The horse will see you, so will the rider.
Rider won't - riders don't have the same peripheral vision as a horse. And there's no way I'm passing a horse unless I've made contact with the rider.

You would be surprised how many idiots my wife has had, whilst on her horse, shout 'cyclist coming' as if they are warning of a nuclear bomb approaching. Horses have good peripheral vision, so just approach wide and slow, the horse will notice you, so will the rider
Maybe your horsey wife needs to have words with the idiots at the British Horse Society as they've asked cyclists to announce their presence ?

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2021/05/19/how-to-pass-horses-on-a-bicycle/

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You're suggesting that on a big enough road, there's no need to communicate with the rider, just approach wide and slow?
Fair enough, but for me it's a courtesy to give a quiet word of warning to the wider.
There's not enough courtesy on the roads.

Also, most of of the cyclists I know prefer to cycle on the smallest lanes, which often precludes "passing wide".

bladesman73

Über Member
Yes, I agree, I once passed a pro jockey out with a group of horse riders and he told me it's better if I shouted "cyclist behind".
He's talking bollox. Oh well, you carry on doing what you think it right and I will carry on doing what I have found works best. Toodle pip.

bladesman73

Über Member
Maybe your horsey wife needs to have words with the idiots at the British Horse Society as they've asked cyclists to announce their presence ?

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2021/05/19/how-to-pass-horses-on-a-bicycle/
Difference between announcing presence and shouting, which is what I am on about. In all my years of cycling in the sticks I have never had to shout or even murmer 'cyclist coming' and not once has there been an issue with horse and rider. I do know there are idiots that ping their bells and make their presence known so loudly that horses have been spooked. But hey, its just 30 odd years of experience talking...you lot carry on doing what works for you, and I will do what I know works for me, simple as that.

Difference between announcing presence and shouting, which is what I am on about. In all my years of cycling in the sticks I have never had to shout or even murmer 'cyclist coming' and not once has there been an issue with horse and rider. I do know there are idiots that ping their bells and make their presence known so loudly that horses have been spooked. But hey, its just 30 odd years of experience talking...you lot carry on doing what works for you, and I will do what I know works for me, simple as that.
Weirdly I've been calling my presence to horse riders for 40 years now and haven't had an issue either. I think the rider would like to know you're there - I've been spooked myself when a cyclist suddenly passes me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think anyone's advocating shouting.

As the British Horse Society say in the link above "Communication is key ... A simple greeting goes a long way and is appreciated by the rider as well as the horse".

If course if the rider turns round and sees me before I get to say (or shout, or indeed bellow) anything, then I keep schtum.

bladesman73

Über Member
Weirdly I've been calling my presence to horse riders for 40 years now and haven't had an issue either. I think the rider would like to know you're there - I've been spooked myself when a cyclist suddenly passes me.
I'm not saying creep behind them like the fckin R Whites lemonade drinker, natural sounds will be enough, not some dollop shouting "yoohoo cyclist behind" which I know some people do as if announcing their presence at a party.

Top Bottom