Passing other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^ This. I use the same rule that skiers use....it's the responsibility of the overtaking person to avoid the slower one, no matter how random or daft they may be.

on a long ride I remember, I was passed quite a lot & I think I got 1 utterance & 2 waves from 3 of the passers. the 10? others didn't say boo

when I pass ppl on trails, paved or otherwise, I say the word "hello" repeatedly as I aproach. not loud, just in a normal volume. eventually they hear me. some move to the side a little, showing they heard me. others show no reaction & I presume they heard me. a bell is probably best

one of the things that amused me about this ride is how many times I'm passed. in the city, it was almost constantly

View: https://youtu.be/jwtJuLj4Yjc

MntnMan62

Über Member
When I'm passing a slower rider I tend to give them a very wide berth. I'll ride out into the middle of the road so that we are nowhere near one another. If I am forced to pass while closer I'll yell out "On your left" as I come up behind them so they know I'm there. Or I'll just say "Hey, how you doing?" if we are going uphill at a slower speed. I've had plenty of riders say that as I attempted to get up that climb. Perfectly acceptable to me. I have no desire to put a bell on my bike. Maybe that's stupid on my part but I just associate bells with little kid's bikes. I have a voice so I choose to use it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hi all
I was riding along today on my ebike - just a normal A road through a local village when I got a big shock when someone said 'Hi' about 1 foot from my right ear - or so it seemed.
I had no idea he was there

He was a normal cyclist wearing lycra (but no showy stuff) and riding a road bike - so it is no surprise that he was going faster than me.

The point is
a) bikes are basically silent - especially as the leading cyclist will have wind noise in their ears
b) when he passed there was no warning - which is normal - I have seldom had anyone warn me when they pass on a road - and don't tend to do it myself (but might now!)
c) if a car passed that close I would be at least annoyed - probably only just 1m - maybe less

Anyway - how do other people pass cyclists on a road - assuming there are no cars coming up behind and there is room etc etc?

do you normally ring a bell?

how much room do you leave?

what - if anything - do you say??

just wondering

Correct etiquette is to draft for a minute or two to get a rest, then sprint past, as fast and close as possible, shouting "In your face, loser"

It's important to sprint seated, so as to give the impression of effortless speed. Should you be out of breath, avoid speech and instead attempt to look nonchalantly ahead. Pulling back across quickly to leave less than 20cm between your rear wheel and the front wheel of the following machine is ideal.

The manoeuvre is ideally executed immediately before turning off on to a little used lane, so the following cyclist has no chance to give you a taste of your own medicine.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It was deliberate to scare you there are a fair few maybe the majority of those on racing bikes do it. They expect car drivers to give them room but they don't think they have to give cyclist or walkers any space. If you are passing another cyclist you give them just as much room as you would expect from car driver and you let them know well in advance with a shout of "coming past"

I wondered why you would make this generalisation. I don't know anyone who would behave this way and we all ride "racing" bikes, whatever that may be.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Correct etiquette is to draft for a minute or two to get a rest, then sprint past, as fast and close as possible, shouting "In your face, loser"

It's important to sprint seated, so as to give the impression of effortless speed. Should you be out of breath, avoid speech and instead attempt to look nonchalantly ahead. Pulling back across quickly to leave less than 20cm between your rear wheel and the front wheel of the following machine is ideal.

The manoeuvre is ideally executed immediately before turning off on to a little used lane, so the following cyclist has no chance to give you a taste of your own medicine.
You forgot to mention dropping a handful of carpet tacks in their path....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@ebikeerwidnes I would say every situation is different. If it's safe to simply ride by I'd pass about 3-4 feet wide, say "hello", "good morning" "great day" etc.

If it's not safe we hang back and when we can go I shoulder check my buddy, say something like "Ready to go Jim" loud enough for the guy in front to hear and then push through positively.

Generally I wouldn't expect to be taken by surprise by anything approaching from behind as I shoulder check a lot. I'm usually in a group. When I'm on the front or in the middle to avoid dropping people and if at the back to warn the group.

I wondered why you would make this generalisation. I don't know anyone who would behave this way and we all ride "racing" bikes, whatever that may be.
You have a choice go wide and let people know your coming past. You choose not to. Ignorance at best. Once when out cycle literally 50 cyclist did it not one let me know they were coming past and they rode as close as possible to me. The only exception was when I informed them I would knock them off there bike if they past to close.
" fair few maybe the majority" therefore not a generalisation.
"we all ride "racing" bikes, whatever that may be." Do you see any contradiction there?

. I don't know anyone who would behave this way
Probably yourself and your mate @roubaixtuesday

Generally I wouldn't expect to be taken by surprise by anything approaching from behind as I shoulder check a lot. I'm usually in a group. When I'm on the front or in the middle to avoid dropping people and if at the back to warn the group.
Hello hello we are talking about individual cyclist and those on racing bikes showing no consideration for for those travelling slower.

Top Bottom