Passing other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
On catching up with some close pass merchant I did ask him whether he had considered a bell - the smug jerk said he couldn't find one that matched/was worthy of his bike.
You deserved that response , which I will 'file away' for future use (the 'matched' option). "Morning" or another alert/warning disguised as a greeting, loud enough to encourage a shoulder check works well. Bells are too easily misinterpreted (or ignored/not heard).

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'm way more worried about close passes by vehicles than worrying about a fellow cyclist and I don't see the relevance of what he was wearing either. A cheery ' morning', 'aye aye' or 'ey up' is the norm in our neck of the woods :smile:

For anyone who calls out "on your left/right" or variations of it might be worth bearing in mind a couple of things.
Not everyone on a bike is a cyclist and knows "the lingo". A sudden shout of "blah blah RIGHT!" can easily mean the person in front pulls right.
The worst example I've ever witnessed of this was a peleton terrorising twin girls, no more than 8 years old.
Doubly significant on cycle paths / mixed use paths where there's more leeway to veer left or right.

Not everyone speaks English! ^_^ Rare, yes, but possible. That bike, loaded down with panniers may not be a local!

Personally, I'm a big fan of bells, although I understand that they're not that popular in the UK. That's a pity. If cycling is ever going to hit a critical mass, the communication between cyclists (and pedestrians) will have to improve. Any town or city in NL in the morning rush hour is a symphony of bells!

As for the OP, it doesn't matter what people on here say they'll do. It matters what your experience is. A mirror is a great way of keeping an eye on what's happening behind you.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My worst experience was a few weeks ago on a wide section of the A696 Jedburgh road. A family was pootling along on bikes in front so checked behind to pass, nothing coming so pulled out into the centre of the lane to pass. A large Mercedes E saloon roared past as I was pulling back in- thankfully he was well over on the opposite lane leaving plenty of room- must've been going well over the 60 speed limit and blasted his horn as he passed. The family were really shaken by it and all stopped, as did I to apologise but I felt really bad about it for ages as it was probably me passing them that caused the Mercedes driver to feel he had to make a point- not that he'd slowed or been forced to hold back. Some people are just prats but it really bothered me for some time that it may have put the family off and scared the children, though the Mercedes driver wasn't in sight when I looked back before pulling out to pass, nor could I hear him coming. Awful

al78

Guru
I pass cyclists on the bike the same as I pass them when driving, give them enough room so that if they fell sideways to their right, I'd pass well away from their head. There aren't that many cyclists in Horsham and when I do want to overtake one, I am usually on a wide road, so I've never had any issues, no-one has ever complained I passed them too closely.

byegad

Legendary Member
It was deliberate to scare you there are a fair few maybe the majority of those on racing bikes do it. They expect car drivers to give them room but they don't think they have to give cyclist or walkers any space. If you are passing another cyclist you give them just as much room as you would expect from car driver and you let them know well in advance with a shout of "coming past"
Yes, I used to be passed by one who bellowed HELLO! from a foot away just before his presence became apparent. I did tell him to pack it in, and got 'Whatever' as a reply.
Next time I was keeping a close eye on my mirror and saw him coming.
Just as he was about to bellow, I saw him breathe in, I swerved hard right. He managed to avoid riding over me and the recumbent trike..... just. And called me a rude name. my reply 'Whatever'. He's passed me a few times since, in silence.

Personally, I'm a big fan of bells, although I understand that they're not that popular in the UK. That's a pity. If cycling is ever going to hit a critical mass, the communication between cyclists (and pedestrians) will have to improve. Any town or city in NL in the morning rush hour is a symphony of bells!

As for the OP, it doesn't matter what people on here say they'll do. It matters what your experience is. A mirror is a great way of keeping an eye on what's happening behind you.
Something we agree on, but i have to say when cycling in the Netherlands(not very often anymore) i tend to use the bell much more as it is very effective. In the uk i often notice people don't really understand how to respond, or they ignore it altogether so i only use it when i really have too.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Expect the unexpected.
Try to give a warning.
Many people will change direction when its quiet, thinking the’re alone.

John482

I ride in Ventura Ca on the Pacific Coast bike Rout. It's a lot of fun but can be crowded with bikes and people walking. Most people don't really signal but I've seen people say something or use a bell. This reminds me I want to get a bell for riding there because it's a pedestrian every 15 feet or so in places.

Top Bottom