pasta and ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

Bolognese (simplified and anglicised. Can take 30 mins, can take 6 hours)
Chop Onion - fry in oil & butter on lowish heat
Chop Carrots and Celery. Add to pan.
Slice Bacon (or Pancetta or Prosciutto) and add to pan
Add mince to pan. Allow to brown thoroughly.
Add Tinned Tomatoes.
Add Passata if you want.
Add Vegetable stock to get it quite wet.
Add red wine (almost any duff cooking red, despite what many think).
Simmer gently for 30 mins, one hour, six hours or whatever you want. The longer it all goes on, the yummier. I do it in the bottom oven of an Aga, but a low oven (once off the hob) is fine.
You can add cream (not much) just before serving, but it's not really necessary.
Serve with Penne or similar.

Vesuvio (10 mins, or 5 mins without roast peppercorns)
Stick some peppercorns in the oven and roast them for maybe 10 mins (optional)
Butter and cream in shallow pan.
Add shredded/chopped smoked salmon (scraps from the suprmarket are v cheap)
Grind some pepper onto it.
Add the rast peppercorns (if used) and serve with Penne or similar.

Dolcelatte, Cream & Walnut (5 mins)
Put the cream in a pan, warm and add the Dolcelatte.
Get it all bubbling and then simmer until pasta is ready.
Add chopped walnuts at the last minute.

Carbonara
There are seventeen bllion versions of this and no two I make are the same. I Anglicise it massively.
Fry some bacon in a shallow pan (or Prosciutto if you must)
Add mushrooms if you want (not officially included, but works well)
Add some cream (not necessary, but I'm a greedy pig)
Throw in some grated cheese (should be italian, but my kids like it best with Medium Cheddar).
As soon as your pasta is drained and still piping hot, stir one or two beaten eggs into it. Mix it well, so the eg makes the pasta shiny as it gets hot.
Then mix the sauce in and devour.
For reasons I will never understand, my children used to love the above made with sausages instead of bacon).

Basic Sauce Base
Chop onion and soften gently in oil.
Add a tin of tomatoes (or Passata or both)
Chop some garlic to taste and chuck it in.
Now you can add all sorts of stuff that goes with the above.

There are very few rules with pasta. If you like it, it's a good sauce. The above require no skill or knowledge.

I'm usually cooking for four, five or six - so no quantities are included. I think the best pasta sauces are made just by chucking stuff in rather than weighing and measuring.

I hope this is helpful.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
with mullet roe..

heat oil, add grated mullet roe (low heat)

combine with spaghetti or linguine (hoick out with a fork so as not to overdrain) and add a bit more grated roe

DONE.

Bottarga! I'd forgotten about this stuff until your post. Unfortunately, at £156 a kilo, I'm going to have to forget about it again...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So did I. For people who bother about 'ethical food', though, anchovies are now high up the endangered species list and should be avoided.

The thing with pasta is that it's supposed to be the main ingredient. Brits like it 50-50 with the sauce, which Italians find comical. I say use good pasta (even fresh pasta) and have other ingredients just for flavouring.

:cry: I really can't deal with this information right now.

Just looked them up on fishonline. Apparently Biscay anchovies are a slightly better option than Mediterranean ones. Which is a shame, as the best anchovies I've ever eaten were from Collioure, salted on the bone and packed into jars. I think it might have been Nigel Slater who claimed that life was too short to bone an anchovy, which clearly demolishes any credibility he might once have enjoyed...

U

User482

Has to be slightly runny. Congealed is just wrong.
Agreed. Egg sets at around 80 deg C, so very gentle heat from the cooked pasta is all that's needed to thicken the sauce. Any more heat and you get the scrambled effect.

My favourite pasta is lobster linguine, preferably with a glass of champagne.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The french word is liaison. Which is nice. No-one wants scrambled-eggs carbonara, surely?
Unfortunately, the rest of my family do .... :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK, proper suggestion... onion and garlic (I like loads), softened in olive oil, add chopped tinned toms and tom puree to taste, capers and drained tinned tuna. Spaghetti to go with it. Finish with fresh lemon juice squeezed on top before serving. I personally put lots of black pepper on mine too.

longers

Legendary Member
Pasta with cold milk and shreddies. Might work, might not. Can someone try, and report back?

I can recommend not trying cheap own brand chocolate spread with spaghetti.
It might work with proper Nutella though.

Any takers?

Oil, garlic and chilli. Parsley if you want to push the boat out.

+1
A handful of fresh thyme, marjoram, or oregano can handily replace the chilli/parsley.

Oooh - and nearly forgot an Ethiopian recipe. No measurements - I'd do this for 4.

While "enough" spaghetti is boiling, fry a finely chopped large onion gently with ground black pepper; add 5-6 cloves chopped garlic.

Just before you drain the pasta, add 2-3 small hot (fiery hot) fresh chillis chopped up, and then a couple of tomatoes (if you've used green chillis) cut into wedges into the frypan - not to cook, just to warm through. [When I use red chillis, I swap a chopped green pepper for the tomato.]

Drain spaghetti, add fried veg to pan, and break in a couple of eggs - stir 'em in with a generous sprinkling of oregano (fresh is best), or a handful of chopped fresh coriander. The heat of the spaghetti should be enough to just cook/scramble the eggs.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I can recommend not trying cheap own brand chocolate spread with spaghetti.
It might work with proper Nutella though.

Any takers?

Not convinced...

Mind you, as a toddler (and indeed now) my favourite meal was spag bol followed by chocolate pudding. This lead to some messy early self-feeding when I was 1 or 2. Once, when my grandparents were over visiting, my grandpa, who was a very quiet man, took one look at my face after such a meal and burst out in a guffaw the like of which neither my mother or grandmother had ever heard him make before.

Top Bottom