Patches where the cellophane adheres to the patch after a tube repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I noticed recently that when patching a tube the cellophane that is on the non sticky side of a patch adheres to the patch. If an attempt is made to remove it from the patch after the repair it basically tries to rip the patch from the tube. Removing the foil side is never a problem. Do you usually put your tube in your tyre and ignore the cellophane still adhered to the patch? Maybe I have some El cheapo patches.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just leave it on the patch

rrarider

Veteran
Tip Top are the best patches and are pre-scored. Wilko are pretty good for about a pound.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The patches I used to use you had to fold the patch sharply thus stretching the covering which then cracked. This made it possible to peel off from the centre. But they weren't cellophane but more like tracing paper.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you leave the cellophane on, what happens when the tube stretches to fit the tyre? I peel mine off carefully while holding the feathered edge of the patch with a fingernail. Then I pat the tube around with talc, perfumed obviously, before refitting it or sucking out the air and taping it in a tight roll to slip into a pocket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you leave the cellophane on, what happens when the tube stretches to fit the tyre? I peel mine off carefully while holding the feathered edge of the patch with a fingernail. Then I pat the tube around with talc, perfumed obviously, before refitting it or sucking out the air and taping it in a tight roll to slip into a pocket.

It comes off - the cellophane that is

Top Bottom