Patella Tendonitis/Tendonosis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
I'm now in Month 7 of Patellar Tendinopathy and seem to be recovering slowly. I had an ultrasound scan which revealed the core of my right knee tendon had degenerated and had been replaced by blood vessels. The blood vessels then allow nerves to grow which is where the pain comes from. I have been undertaking daily eccentric knee exercises using weights on an incline board and it has removed the blood vessels and killed off the nerves reducing the pain, I had it re-scanned and it looked much improved. I was cycling 250 miles a week and not really allowing my knees time to recover between rides, I'm now looking into other potential issues such as bike set-up to prevent a return of the injury now that I'm riding again. My right foot naturally points toe out and I think that having cleats which forced it to point straight have contributed to the damage. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used pedal extenders to allow the heel to get closer to the crank arm and therefore allowing the toe to point out more naturally. I'm considering a dynamic video bike fit to see if any issues can be captured, any recommendations for this on the south coast (Hampshire) would be welcomed. I found the following resource useful and signed up for e-mail letters. It was a good while before being asked to sign up and pay for a book and course but the free information offered was really good. http://www.fix-knee-pain.com/patellar-tendonitis-jumpers-knee/ . Fingers crossed for a full recovery ^_^

Ugh. Probably shouldn't have read this thread. I've just developed (self diagnosed) this after a 100 km ride on Sunday. However, I'm obviously much better off than people in this thread. Pain is quite distinct but not severe. I am apparently limping, but not aware of pain while walking. Sitting and standing up again are difficult. Riding - which is the cause of the injury - feels fine.

I've consulted my personal orthopaedic surgeon, @vickster**, who has prescribed RICE which I will follow.

**ok, she's not actually a doctor, but she's spent so much time with them, she'd be qualified if we had an apprenticeship scheme for surgeons.

If you have any discomfort then rest it immediately. The longer you deal with the mild pain the more severe it gets. And the longer the recovery takes.

By the time it actually prevents you will have a recovery period of 6+ months.

If you are in any kind of discomfort, pain, or limping after exercise you need to stop and rest it.

I've consulted my personal orthopaedic surgeon, @vickster**, who has prescribed RICE which I will follow.
This is working well. Some swelling, but zero pain now. In fact, I had to do a visual check to remember which leg to put the compression bandage on this morning.

Experimental ride out tomorrow with @vickster. Very flat - I'm sticking with the thames, so I can probably ride with zero climb.

Hopefully I've been lucky. I'll keep you posted.

It's a bit sad, because I've been recently pushing myself on distances that are a little beyond my current fitness but much less than I have done before, but I've been able to manage with a bit of determination - not worrying at all about speed, and walking up hills if need, but keep pushing on. Now it seems I may have reached the age when I have to stop if it's "hard". Bugger!

OP
OP
jarlrmai

jarlrmai

Veteran
REST IT

When you go to your GP's make sure you get a referral to an Orthopaedic clinic describe the pain as unbearable and mention it's preventing you from cycling and keeping healthy affecting your life. Once you get to clinic, your goal is to get that MRI and radiology diagnosis, once you have it ask for a copy on CD (there will be a nominal charge) the consultant may offer you injections/surgery etc etc. DO NOT AGREED TO ANY OF THIS IMMEDIATELY. come back here and let us know what they say, in the meantime rest that knee.

Do you have any swelling/heat?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ultrasound is better to diagnose tendonitis but it's clear the tendon is swollen. Try the ibuprofen gel, or take oral ibuprofen and get some algesal which is aspirin based and can be used with other NSAIDs

I really don't think you need to see an orthoapedic surgeon yet, could get on the waiting list which is likely up to 18 weeks in SW London, and 8 weeks to see a physio on NHS, but I very much doubt that any GP will do that with a two week history. Yes, maybe once it's chronic, and you've given physio a proper go, RICEd like a dervish etc

There's no good surgical option for patella tendonitis until it ruptures and then it's a serious emergency!

OP
OP
jarlrmai

jarlrmai

Veteran
An MRI will show PT and will also highlight if it's not PT but something else possibly they will do both.

My GP referred me straight away...

vickster

Legendary Member
I expect an MRI of @jefmcg knee to show more which may have nothing to do with her symptoms

Mine shows all sorts of horrors which don't actually cause me much bother functionally if I'm sensible!

How long did you have symptoms for?

I still don't know what I've had/got :sad:
My only advice to anyone is to insist on something being done. I've got lifetime problems thanks to a locum GP that didn't give a shoot.
When I was treated it was to repair the damage done by following his advice of 'come back in 4 weeks', said 3 times over.

Top Bottom