Paternoster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I knew it felt familiar!
At least it was 6 years ago, not last month. :blush:

Doseone

Guru
We had a couple at Leicester Poly, both buildings with them have been knocked down now. The first time you override is fun, you wonder if the stories are true.

I was at Leicester Poly too and remember the Paternoster in the Fletcher building I think it was. Funnily enough we had a reunion back in Leicester a couple of weekends ago. Stayed at the Grand and hit a few of the old haunts - The Bowling Green and what was back then the Crown and Thistle. All very different now though.

TVC

I was at Leicester Poly too and remember the Paternoster in the Fletcher building I think it was. Funnily enough we had a reunion back in Leicester a couple of weekends ago. Stayed at the Grand and hit a few of the old haunts - The Bowling Green and what was back then the Crown and Thistle. All very different now though.
I mostly used the one in Jimmy Went. I've not been in the Bowling Green for years, it's now owned by the company that owns Yates'. Did you look round DeMontfort Uni? they've rebuilt so much of it, it looks fantastic. The only sad bit is the SU is gone , I spent many nights of music, beer and general debauchery in there.

Doseone

Guru
I mostly used the one in Jimmy Went. I've not been in the Bowling Green for years, it's now owned by the company that owns Yates'. Did you look round DeMontfort Uni? they've rebuilt so much of it, it looks fantastic. The only sad bit is the SU is gone , I spent many nights of music, beer and general debauchery in there.

I didn't look round the Uni, though my wife did (she was there too) and said it was unrecogniseable. Like you we spent a lot of time in the SU and saw lots of bands there. It was also nice that I wasn't still banned from the Bowling Green:laugh:

TVC

I didn't look round the Uni, though my wife did (she was there too) and said it was unrecogniseable. Like you we spent a lot of time in the SU and saw lots of bands there. It was also nice that I wasn't still banned from the Bowling Green:laugh:
So whrn were you there? I was 84-87

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Biochemistry department. Not that I was reading biochemistry, but they had cheaper sandwiches than the physics department.
Because they contained experiments?

gaijintendo

Veteran
They had one in the University of Glasgow Pontecorvo building. I guess, as the video is of the last own, they decommissioned it. I bravely stayed in whilst it did the horizontal part of its trip. That supposedly commonly made them fail, and the only paternoster engineer was in Manchester.

I believe it had crushed a contractor at some point in its functioning time.

Terrible but wonderful idea.

Leicester uni used to have one, in the Attenborough building, when I studied there. It was always worth a laugh to see if you could stay in it as it went over the top, I think it had a system that cut the power if it sensed anyone still in the wardrobe when it got near the top though.

Top Bottom