Patient Transfer Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not remotely cycling related but CC always seems to have answers to difficult situations, so here goes.

My Mum is diagnosed with MSA and has now decided she needs to go into a full time care facility.

The wheels are turning to make it happen, (all be it quite slowly), but the problem we will face is getting Mum downstairs from her first floor apartment.

The main stairs have a chair lift but I wouldn't trust Mum on it now as her core strength is minimal, and TBH she wouldn't expect any of us to even try.

The local NHS ambulance transfer won't help because she'll be self funding her care so doesn't qualify, despite still obviously being an NHS patient!

Mum's social worker suggested St John's Ambulance, and indeed yes they can do it, but they want £320 for the privilege of bringing Mum downstairs and transporting her 2 miles to the care home. Now I don't expect it to be free, even though Mum and Dad have raised 1000's of pounds for SJA over the years through masonic events, but £320 is simply outrageous.

So CC, (if you're still reading thank you), does anyone have any experience, thoughts or ideas of how we can safely get Mum downstairs. She could use a wheelchair accessible taxi once at ground level, but it's just getting downstairs that's the problem.

T.I.A.

classic33

Leg End Member
What about a support aid on the stairlift. Stannah did a number of different types.

Would one help?

classic33

Leg End Member
Acorn
76b3c2668d1c62967dfa0fafd1e8c139--caregiver-all-star.jpg

Dolphin
images-2.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sounds like a dilemma..
Having worked with Parkinsons type problems and hearing your predicament?
Is there no chance of using the chair lift, with her safely strapped in and a person in front and behind to steady her during decent, even using a blanket wrapped around to give more support? And less chance of moving as much.

Do her meds control the shaxking enough to allow controlled movement?

Ambulance staff would probably carry in a chair..

tom73

Guru
Nothing SJA surprisers be anymore money men totally lost the plot years ago sadly.
Have you tried British Red Cross? They maybe able to help many areas have home support services that will get home so can't see why they can't do it the other way.
Have you asked the ambulance service how much they want as most do private work?
Maybe ask the home if it's near by they may do it if it means she move in quicker.

tom73

Guru
@meta lon say's anyone would only use a carry chair anyway. Is she ok in a wheel chair ? Going steady in the stair lift is the simple option if she is ok the wheel chair strapped in to the stairlift is not too different.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you get her to the stair lift, and stay with her as she goes down ? We were lucky in that MIL fell ill whilst down stairs at home, so it was ambulance job to hospital, then respite care, then next will be nursing home.

Also, from there are you able to get her to a car ? It took 3 people to get MIL out of a car, earlier in the day that the docs said ambulance.

There seems to be a fine line between when it's 'safe' to get someone into care.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Can Age Concern (not called that anymore but can't think what it is just now) help? Your position cannot be unique so they might have a solution?

Moving people is a big problem legally, were not even allowed to pick someone up off the floor in a bloody care facility . I know, who do we thank for this?

What about the local Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) ambulance technicians, are they able to arrange evacuation?

Failing that I know it is a bit bumpy and rough but could you arrange for an evac chair to be used for the transfer as she would be strapped in?

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Sounds like a dilemma..
Having worked with Parkinsons type problems and hearing your predicament?
Is there no chance of using the chair lift, with her safely strapped in and a person in front and behind to steady her during decent, even using a blanket wrapped around to give more support? And less chance of moving as much.

Do her meds control the shaxking enough to allow controlled movement?

Ambulance staff would probably carry in a chair..
It may yet come to that but Mum won't like it I know that much.

She doesn't shake much really. MSA is Parkinsonian in its presentation, in fact she was told she had Parkinson's a couple of years ago, but her symptons have now led to the re-diagnoses of MSA. As a result she now has very little core strength and her grip strength is very poor.

Top Bottom