Patient Transfer Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Nothing SJA surprisers be anymore money men totally lost the plot years ago sadly.
Have you tried British Red Cross? They maybe able to help many areas have home support services that will get home so can't see why they can't do it the other way.
Have you asked the ambulance service how much they want as most do private work?
Maybe ask the home if it's near by they may do it if it means she move in quicker.
I'll check with my Sister and if she's not tried the BRC we'll give them a whirl.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
@meta lon say's anyone would only use a carry chair anyway. Is she ok in a wheel chair ? Going steady in the stair lift is the simple option if she is ok the wheel chair strapped in to the stairlift is not too different.
She can manage being sat in a wheelchair, so yes @fossyant we can get her to the stairs.

The trouble with the stairlift though @tom73 is the seat is quite small and it's hard plastic so she's never felt great on it even when she could walk. We could put some non slip stuff on it and, for want of a more techy description, tie her on as well as the seatbelt, but I know she'd be very panicky.

The stairwell is good and wide so we can have people around her the whole way down, and it may well come to this but if there's a more dignified way I'd rather use that.

@fossyant also she couldn't get in a car but she'd go in a wheelchair adapted taxi, that's what we had to do for Dad's funeral last year.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Feeling unsafe is in her mind, you need to overcome that with her, plenty of support, and a few helpers will give her the feel safe confidence to manage the short journey down.

People with this condition often see things we don't, floor perception is skewed, feels like it's falling away to them, bit like vertigo.
So the fear is real to her..

classic33

Leg End Member
Could be an option but can they be hired as I suspect they'd be quite pricey?
£50 plus delivery.
upload_2019-3-12_16-31-26.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-qua...397538?hash=item1ccc396422:g:SmUAAOSwPF9chTPY

tom73

Guru
Could be an option but can they be hired as I suspect they'd be quite pricey?

Yes they can but don't try to use a carry chair without training it's not as simple as it look's and practice make perfect. But have moved 100's of people over the the years.

I'd go with the stairlift and some very gentle handling and lot's of support form people she trusts. Sit her down gentley wrap her in a blanket and strap her in and go slow on step at a time. It will be a lot more dignified than having to be moved in a carry chair. By people she's never met no matter how nice they are. With all the nice care in world it can still a bit of a hard time for the one in it.
Then use the wheel chair taxi again with people she knows going with her.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stairlift and family to help. MIL now won't stand - main issues have been walking - too frightened to move just a short space, even with helpers.

Her dignity will be better kept with family I would think.

Brains

Legendary Member
Mountain Rescue ?
My guess is that you will have local volunteers somewhere and for a donation would turn out.

Failing that, your local Scout Group (Explorer Section), again they would have the knowledge, equipment and ability.

Top Bottom