Paul Kimmage suspicious of Sky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
With the aggressive way he's gone about his journalism and the bridges he's burned along the way I don't think PK has the connections to reinvent himself as a run of the mill sport/cycling journalist & I fear he'll become a parody of what he once was.

That sums up Kimmage quite nicely for me. His passion for cycling seems to have been replaced solely by a blinkered passion for exposure(s).

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
isn't this a bit of an about face from your earlier post where you suggested journo's other than PK be granted access? *confused now*

Your post quoted is exactly the point I was making, they would be so controlled as to what they could see that they would neutered by managed events and only able to produce bland non stories.

I was merely saying the full access that PK wanted was at odds with what most businesses would be inclined to put up with. SKY "could" form a united standard (best practice) for access with defined rules to protect privacy and confidentiality that both journo's and the teams could sign up to. That way everyone knows exactly where they stand. I would like to see SKY give access to other journo's along these lines, but still give PK the rub off.

:laugh: Insults? Is that the 4th or 5th time you have referred to my reasoned replies to you, as infantile/pram-toy interface rants?

I really don't know I bother trying to reply sensibly but I supose it's my inherent good nature and I'll give it another shot.
If you read (and comprehend,) most of the posts on this thread, you will see that most of the posters believe that Kimmage is sometimes right and sometimes wrong. It's not the posters who are being inconsistent, it's Kimmage.
In actual fact in real life, most people are inconsistent but your trawling back through my old posts to prove that I have been, is verging on the obsessive and stalking. Whilst it's quite flattering, I really think you should take a deep breath and re-focus your forensic analysis on something more worthwhile.
As before please correct the use of quotes or if you are unable to do so, delete the post

Noodley

Excallent, thank you for clarifying this..... that was not your previous stance

It is always my position, so I have no idea what you are meaning - at present, I do not believe they are doping, but I am open to it being true.

edit - I removed your errant quote mark for you...

BJH

Über Member
The point here is why should Sky accept having to be totally open to PK - great for him if he can get this as it puts him right into the front line of for the biggest stories from the biggest team.

All I read from his accusation is that Sky won the TDF and could use a number of riders to control the race.

Maybe he should look at what almost anyone with two brain cells could see before the race, Sky had an outstanding leader with an expensively gathered team in full support of him riding a course that was relatively flat and included two long time trials - in other words the best chance Wiggo was ever going to have of winning which he went out and took with both hands.

If he comes back with something showing therapeutic use exemptions, statements by former team mates or back office staff, financial transactions with dodgy doctors or UCI officials then I am will be interested.

Until then he's seeing reds under the beds - although the caveat here is that just because your a schizophrenic it doesn't mean they are not out to get you

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I agree - the lack of common courtesy and manners is appalling... it is a shame that the moderators had to be involved because the OP didn't have the decency to correct the post
...and with one bound he was free! Phew, your integrity is saved!:thumbsup:

...and with one bound he was free! Phew, your integrity is saved!:thumbsup:

Yep - some of us have higher standards than others, shame really that it took the moderators to bring your post up to a standard that is acceptable

The point here is why should Sky accept having to be totally open to PK - great for him if he can get this as it puts him right into the front line of for the biggest stories from the biggest team.

All I read from his accusation is that Sky won the TDF and could use a number of riders to control the race.

Maybe he should look at what almost anyone with two brain cells could see before the race, Sky had an outstanding leader with an expensively gathered team in full support of him riding a course that was relatively flat and included two long time trials - in other words the best chance Wiggo was ever going to have of winning which he went out and took with both hands.

If he comes back with something showing therapeutic use exemptions, statements by former team mates or back office staff, financial transactions with dodgy doctors or UCI officials then I am will be interested.

Until then he's seeing reds under the beds - although the caveat here is that just because your a schizophrenic it doesn't mean they are not out to get you

TUEs can be difficult as athletes as a whole and endurance athletes in particular can have "abnormal" results in medical tests making diagnosis difficult and more complicated

Asthma is a classic case, with a much higher incidence in athletes (25% of athletes at Beijing showed symptoms of being asthmatic, compared to about 8% in the general public.) The classic tests of lung volume are unhelpful as this is usually greater than the normal values in these athletes, soother tests need to be used.

Although the standardised lists of banned substances are specific, some countries allow therapeutic drugs to be proscribed under exemption that others do not.

Indurain's "failed test" in 1994 was for an inhaler that was banned in France at the time, and listed by the UCI at the time, Salbutamol was however allowed for use by asthmatics under an exemption, but an outright ban exixted in France where the race was held.

The test was therefore positive for a banned substance in France, but allowed under a TUE by the UCI and hence there was no sanction for the offence.

(Of course there is also the dispute over whether the Salbutamol TUE was backdated)

[/url][/s]

I would not be at all surprised if there was chemical hanky-panky at Sky Pro-Cycling.

It would sadden me, but it would not be the end of the world and would not detract from the sport.

I loved the whole, barmy pro-cycling caravan of excess in the 90s and (like many others) I suspected it was full of funny substances. I'd say I knew it, but I didn't. I suspected it was and I believed it was.

I enjoyed the spectacle nonetheless. Pantani and other 'bad boys' remain heroes to me. I have an enormous regard for the exploits of LA, but he was never someone I saw in the same heroic glow that I got from Pantani. Ekimov was heroic to me, but not LA.

These words may seem absurd in the light of recent proofs, but many of us never needed the proof. These guys were doing the impossible, day after day after day.

Many people (I among them) chose to see Cadel as clean, likewise Ti-Blan, Bradley, Boardman, Voigt, Spartacus.... We liked these riders and it suited our outlook. But really?

I wouldn't bet my house on anything, but I would scarcely raise an eyebrow if it turned out that Sky were sailing close to the wind (or closer) on PEDs.

And I'd still count BW as a hero.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Although the standardised lists of banned substances are specific, some countries allow therapeutic drugs to be proscribed under exemption that others do not.

(Of course there is also the dispute over whether the Salbutamol TUE was backdated)

[/url][/s]

They allow drugs to be proscribed? What on earth does that mean?

They allow drugs to be proscribed? What on earth does that mean?

Denounce or condemn

Edited - I have expanded the explanation

Lets make this as simple as I can for you........... I can only apologise if I have used a word you don't understand or is too complcated

In Country A the drug on the UCi / IOC banned list is allowed to be used (in this case Salbutamol) under a Therapeutic Use Exemption

In Country B they have a separate regulation which additionally bans the same drug (in this case Salbutamol) totally

This can then be described as having been "banned", "forbidden", "outlawed", "condemned", "unlawful" or "proscribed"

In the case above the incident mentioned above the TUE (see note above about backdating) was not recognised because the drug was proscribed under French regulations.
[media]

Top Bottom