Paula Radcliffe fit for NY Marathon! Again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Oh, and will PaulB change his mind now we know that Paula was running with an injury in New York and wasn't in the tip-top shape she would have been had she been specially preparing and avoiding the non-paying events.

And here's some facts. The working life of a top class athlete is very short. Even if she was trying to earn as much money as she could in the short time she's got at this level, who could blame her? Athletes often don't have a lot to look forward to after they retire. But on the other hand, she'd pull in even more in sponsorship deals etc. if she won the Olympics, so that could be portrayed as being 'all about money' if she had won the gold.

I think the truth is that she gets on some people's wick. And that's all this is about.

Keith Oates

Janner
As usual, she put up a good performance at this NY event but was really suffering when she crossed the line in 4th position. To knock someone who has worked so hard to achieve her past record is a bit silly IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

postman

Legendary Member
Poor lass struggled a bit.But good luck to her.But my oh my is she thin.

Maybe time for a rest Paula think of your health girl .

ChrisKH

Guru
She lives in Monaco so is hardly a 'local' girl anymore - her decisions will naturally be money orientated. Her talent though is beyond compare and she is drug free. Envy is understandable if a little misdirected.

darkstar

ChrisKH said:
She lives in Monaco so is hardly a 'local' girl anymore
Jensen Button and Lewis Hamilton both live out of the country, so does that mean they are not local anymore? Their still british!
If i had that sort of money i would be out of this country in a heartbeat, don't fancy giving up 50% of it to this excuse of a government. It will also be much better for her training, the UK during winter isn't exactly the runners paradise.
I remember hearing she was running around 120 miles per week, thats a phenomenal amount of training, she can whatever she want's with her talent in that case.

ChrisKH

Guru
darkstar said:
Jensen Button and Lewis Hamilton both live out of the country, so does that mean they are not local anymore? Their still british!
If i had that sort of money i would be out of this country in a heartbeat, don't fancy giving up 50% of it to this excuse of a government. It will also be much better for her training, the UK during winter isn't exactly the runners paradise.
I remember hearing she was running around 120 miles per week, thats a phenomenal amount of training, she can whatever she want's with her talent in that case.

Clearly not that patriotic if they don't want to put into the pot though? British when it suits.

darkstar

ChrisKH said:
Clearly not that patriotic if they don't want to put into the pot though? British when it suits.
It's not about not wanting to contribute to the taxes, the level of taxation on the wealthy is ridiculous in this country, 50% is out of order.
I'm sure in one year Hamilton contributed more tax than the average person.
Then the government go a piss all the money up the wall, being too wasteful and not priortising.
Have a child or two and your sorted for life mentality is another reason i don't want to contribute to the tax in this country. Willing people to take the easy way out and add to our rising population, brilliant idea.
So if having that view is not british, then au revoir ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
darkstar said:
It's not about not wanting to contribute to the taxes, the level of taxation on the wealthy is ridiculous in this country, 50% is out of order.

It's not 50% on the wealthy, it's 50% on income above a certain level. Earnings below that are still taxed at the lower rates. It's fair, affects a very small number of people, and it's lower than in many other European countries.

But don't let that stop you...

darkstar

Flying_Monkey said:
It's not 50% on the wealthy, it's 50% on income above a certain level. Earnings below that are still taxed at the lower rates. It's fair, affects a very small number of people, and it's lower than in many other European countries.

But don't let that stop you...
Yeh thats what i meant, but they also tax interest heavily and even on anything you inherit over a certain amount (is it £250k?) Inheritance money is not the governments money, people have worked very hard to pay of mortgages etc al for them to take 40% away. I love this country, just not how it's controlled at the moment.

So believe me, i won't let that stop me...:evil:

U

User482

darkstar said:
Yeh thats what i meant, but they also tax interest heavily and even on anything you inherit over a certain amount (is it £250k?) Inheritance money is not the governments money, people have worked very hard to pay of mortgages etc al for them to take 40% away. I love this country, just not how it's controlled at the moment.

So believe me, i won't let that stop me...:evil:

Erm, people who have inherited money haven't worked to earn it. The clue is in "inherited".

darkstar

User482 said:
Erm, people who have inherited money haven't worked to earn it. The clue is in "inherited".
But their families have, an example is a couple who have worked their whole lives to pay off their 250k house, they die and leave the house to their child, that money is, in my opinion the families, not the governments.
If it's still like this when i pop my clogs i'll sell up and give the money to my imediate family there and then, so the fat cats can't spend it on duck ponds or the like.

U

User482

darkstar said:
But their families have, an example is a couple who have worked their whole lives to pay off their 250k house, they die and leave the house to their child, that money is, in my opinion the families, not the governments.
If it's still like this when i pop my clogs i'll sell up and give the money to my imediate family there and then, so the fat cats can't spend it on duck ponds or the like.

The money goes to the child. The child hasn't earnt it. And your particular example would attract no inheritance tax at all.

IHT only affects something like 5% of estates. It's a tax on the very rich.

U

User482

Anyway, this way OT. We're supposed to be slagging off Paula Radcliffe for daring to be successful.

darkstar

Ah yep just checked the threshold is now £325K, which still isn't that much, not for the whole estate plus assets. Can't be just the top 5%.
Ok i'll let people get back to having a pop at a wonderful athlete now.

U

User482

darkstar said:
Ah yep just checked the threshold is now £325K, which still isn't that much, not for the whole estate plus assets. Can't be just the top 5%.
Ok i'll let people get back to having a pop at a wonderful athlete now.

...which is doubled for married couples:

"Changes to the rules for married couples made by the Government in 2007 ensured that a person can transfer their allowance to their spouse, effectively doubling the allowance to £650,000. And it is this double allowance that now applies to most taxable transfers, creating an effective threshold of £650,000. Only around 8% of estates on death are worth more than £325,000, and only 2% are worth more than £650,000. So inheritance tax applies only to the wealthiest estates in the UK."

http://www.fabians.org.uk/debates/life-chances-and-equality/inheritance-tax-leap-horton

And don't forget that IHT is only paid on the portion of the estate in excess of the allowance. So only the very wealthy will pay a significant amount of tax on the inheritance that they haven't earnt.

Right, I've already broken my promise. This is my last word on the subject.

Top Bottom