Pavement cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Reject such lumping together please, rather than perpetuate it.

And Bedford borough council should implement what's been national policy since 1987 and allow cycling in the pedestrian areas. They are daffodils for still not doing so.
Hey its not me doing the'lumping together', its the people who are nearly run over by these inconsiderate fools, weaving in and out of shoppers who think they are safe from traffic. There are also market stalls along the length of the main paved pedestrian area, which isn't very wide. It means you have many pedestrians wandering about. I see plenty of other cyclists walking with their bikes (a journey of maybe 100metres from the road) and they don't seem to mind doing so. Allowing cycling in this area would be dangerous.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hey its not me doing the'lumping together',

Some cyclists seem determined to give the others a bad name.

its the people who are nearly run over by these inconsiderate fools, weaving in and out of shoppers who think they are safe from traffic.
And they should be as safe. Riding recklessly and buzzing or skimmimg is illegal even where cycling is allowed.

There are also market stalls along the length of the main paved pedestrian area, which isn't very wide. It means you have many pedestrians wandering about. I see plenty of other cyclists walking with their bikes (a journey of maybe 100metres from the road) and they don't seem to mind doing so. Allowing cycling in this area would be dangerous.
I doubt that. Huntingdon market is similar, cycling is allowed (it's signposted as a link between two national routes) and there are no reported injuries. If space is limited, people walking with bikes are wider, less manoeuvreable and more of a hazard. And not everyone can push a bike easily.

But the guidance could be satisfied by building protected space for cycling on either N-S arm of the A600. Bedford council has failed to do that which makes it entirely predictable that many will ride through.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
And they should be as safe. Riding recklessly and buzzing or skimmimg is illegal even where cycling is allowed.

I doubt that. Huntingdon market is similar, cycling is allowed (it's signposted as a link between two national routes) and there are no reported injuries. If space is limited, people walking with bikes are wider, less manoeuvreable and more of a hazard. And not everyone can push a bike easily.
THIS^^^ I'm much less dangerous on a bike than when pushing it.

Top Bottom