Pavement cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was just walking down a narrow pavement on the LHS of the road and came across two adult cyclists cycling in the opposite direction towards me. The council has even been as nice to provide a cycle lane on the road (albeit in the opposite direction). I tell them 'get off the pavement' to which I get the response 'f**k off'.

Charming.

Mark_Robson

Are you a Policeman?
Were they cycling in a sensible manner and giving way to pedestrians or were they a danger to everyone around them?

Trumpettom001

I got told be someone walking along the pavement to "get off the F"£$%ING road"... we cyclists just can't win.

OP
OP
M

ManiaMuse

Guru
That's why I said it was a 'narrow pavement' and that there was a 'cycle lane'. They were cycling at a reasonable speed and were adults so you could expect they would be able to use the road.

Yes I know cyclists can't win but my point is that cycling on the pavement does no favours and their response just pissed me off for the way they didn't care.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
It's the time of year. Waiting behind a bus this morning when no less than three in a row came past, hopped up the kerb onto the pavement and back off again in front of the bus.

martynjc1977

Veteran
I usually register my annoyance at pavement cyclists by not yielding my position on the path, thus forcing the cyclist to either stop or to move onto the road.

OP
OP
M

ManiaMuse

Guru
Well I didn't vote for him...

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Mark_Robson said:
Are you a Policeman?

Why should that matter, or do you think that no-one should ever express their dissatisfaction at another's antisocial behaviour...........unless, of course, they're a policeman? A strangely British malady, in my experience.

Mark_Robson said:
Were they cycling in a sensible manner and giving way to pedestrians or were they a danger to everyone around them?

Makes no difference. It is not legal to cycle on the pavement.

Personally, I'm all for having words/standing your ground or, preferably, both.

dondare

Über Member
As a society perhaps we should involve ourselves more. Illegal behaviour is antisocial which does give us a right to condemn it.

Mark_Robson

Tinuts said:
Why should that matter, or do you think that no-one should ever express their dissatisfaction at another's antisocial behaviour...........unless, of course, they're a policeman? A strangely British malady, in my experience.

Makes no difference. It is not legal to cycle on the pavement.

Personally, I'm all for having words/standing your ground or, preferably, both.
Personally I'm all for judging each case on it's own merits. Most people I see cycling on the pavements do it because they aren't confident cycling in traffic or some people cycle with their kids on the pavement.
And some people cycle on the pavements in a totally irresponsible and potentially dangerous way but in my experience they are the exception.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mark_Robson said:
Are you a Policeman?

Would it matter if they were a Policeman? The situation was at the very least bloody rude, and we all know pedallestrians are a big obstacle in our getting equality on the roads and in infrastructure.

I have on occassion pretended to be drunk to make pedallestrians think twice about squeezing me off the pavement. Pedallestrians have no right to put pedestrians in the same position that drivers sometimes put us in, I would have done the same as Mania.

mangaman

Mark_Robson said:
Are you a Policeman?

This really irritates me.

I walk to work generally and part is along a narrow/ winding footpath with clear no cycling signage. (Only a fewhundred yards, but cuts a lot off the walk)

I regularly see cyclists going down it. I enjoy my meander to work and walk the path assuming an idiot isn't about to approach me at 15 mph. Or worse still try to overtake me at that speed silently from behind.

My non-cycling friends can't understand why, when I do go in by bike, I use the road. They think I should cycle along the footpath and genuinely can't see a problem.

It's not rocket science.

I don't cycle on footpaths or motorways. Other routes I can pick and choose the best for me.

Anything else is just selfhishness I believe.

Why should you have the right to cycle somewhere illegal, just because you think you're being considarate?

Top Bottom