Pavement etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
I would say Pedestrians on Bikes, but from her general attitude to cycling and pedestrians...

You met a Motorist On Bike (MOB).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
:wacko: Nut job :wacko:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What is considered the correct thing to do if you are walking on the pavement (not shared use - in this case there are signs put up by the council saying not to cycle on it) and you meet a cyclist coming towards you?
I'd stand my ground and as we do as cyclists when we know we're in the right,but the motorist thinks otherwise,take a primary position. Block the path of pavement cyclists because as a pedestrian you have nowhere else to go,unlike them.

mustang1

Guru
I would have told her "Get off the road, you filthy animal"

DONT beat yourself over this.
DONT keep playing the scenario out.
Just be ready for the next time.

Slick

Guru
They shouldn't have been cycling on the pavement in the first place, they could have got a FPN:
It's an offence to drive a carriage on "any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers"
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike
[/QUOTE

Of course your link goes on to further explain this, just to confuse things.

• Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".
  • The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle".
  • To summarise, cycling on the pavement is still an offence, but there is clear guidance that the police are supposed to exercise discretion.
  • And finally on pavements, remember that on segregated cycle tracks the pedestrian side remains a footway, so if you cycle into the pedestrian side to pass a pedestrian in the cycle lane you technically commit a pavement cycling offence. There's an anomaly because cyclists have to ride on their side, but pedestrians are only advised to use theirs.

Dwn

It seems to me that you did more than you were required to, since she would not have had right of way. Normally you'd expect a friendly acknowledgement of that rather than a rant. I can see why that would be so disconcerting.

It is possible that she may be just one of life's selfish types and that she has always behaved in this way. In mitigation though it may be that the combination of lockdown, kid(s) at home, and the general air of covid hysteria, has left her nerves in a bad way, and you were the unlucky bystander when they broke.

Not a pleasant experience for you, but you did the right thing by remaining polite.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I think I would have shoved her into the feckin hawthorn hedge! :laugh:

Mobocop!!

Although, if you care to read the original narrative you would see that the adult female has already let loose with a torrent of foul abuse. Once that genie is out of the bottle it can't be put back.

"Selfish narcissistic b...tard", even if untrue, is not exactly a torrent of foul abuse, unless you've led a very sheltered life.

Responding by upping the ante on foul abuse would have reinforced to the kid that that's the way to deal with differences.

Top Bottom