pay rise lump sum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Our pay rise this year is a less than inflation % and a lump sum , lump sum enough to pay for a new rear door that has needed replacing for a long time , easy come soon gone !!

Similar here. 6.5% (on top of 5% last year) plus a non-consolidated lump sum. Not much left of the lump sum following higher rate tax and national insurance getting taken off.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That's what we got last year - about 1% on the pay and a lump sum of around £250 after tax. And of course the lump sum is non-pensionable so saving money for the employer in the long run and reducing the long term value of the pension.

The company I worked for everyone gets a individual pay rise dependant on performance. Also this year they said they had done a complete review against industry norms and some would get no pay rise some a large one etc . They anounced that they were doing a exeptional one of payment to lower paid workers who would get a one off payment, but no anouncement of what they considered lower paid or what the lump sum would be.
As most here guards what they get paid with some degree of secrecy no one has a clue as to how many got no pay rise and what is considered as lower paid and what the lump sum they got was.

Jameshow

Veteran
Since I left Waitrose the bonus has been abysmal! I could see the writing on the wall trying to compete with the big 4 and other challengers whilst loosing thier distinctiveness. Sad really. Seems to be the case the world from retail loosing it's distinctiveness to companies offshore production.

Rant over

Where I work presently we got a decent bonus not sure of it % wise.

midlife

Guru
Been contacted about ballot for strike action. I can't ever imagine that our mob would ever go on strike but there might be a vote for a strike.

Like above comments, our employer likes lump sums as is non recurrent, not pensionable and gets clawed back via taxation anyway....

Alex321

Veteran
Been contacted about ballot for strike action. I can't ever imagine that our mob would ever go on strike but there might be a vote for a strike.

Like above comments, our employer likes lump sums as is non recurrent, not pensionable and gets clawed back via taxation anyway....

The "gets clawed back via taxation" isn't something that benefits the employer at all, that is just an unfortunate fact of anything they pay you, whether it is a bonus or a pay rise, or anything else except redundancy payments.

It is only the "non-recurrent" part of the above that the employer likes, and why they do it. Plus the fact that it is not consolidated pay, so if they give a % rise (or bonus) next year, it is based on your salary without the lump sum this year.

midlife

Guru
The "gets clawed back via taxation" isn't something that benefits the employer at all, that is just an unfortunate fact of anything they pay you, whether it is a bonus or a pay rise, or anything else except redundancy payments.

It is only the "non-recurrent" part of the above that the employer likes, and why they do it. Plus the fact that it is not consolidated pay, so if they give a % rise (or bonus) next year, it is based on your salary without the lump sum this year.

As my employer pays me out of general taxation, any tax they get back is of benefit to them.

Alex321

Veteran
As my employer pays me out of general taxation, any tax they get back is of benefit to them.

Not really. They don't get the tax back that you pay. Even HMRC staff are taxed the same as the rest of us, and that tax goes into the general tax fund. HMRC don't get to keep it, they just collect on behalf of the government.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not really. They don't get the tax back that you pay. Even HMRC staff are taxed the same as the rest of us, and that tax goes into the general tax fund. HMRC don't get to keep it, they just collect on behalf of the government.

HMRC (and other branches of the civil service) may not get to keep the taxes they raise, but the Government is their ultimate employer so the salaries come out of general taxation.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
8.5% rise from last June's pay review, finally voted in, after several laughable offers, in February. Negotiations for this June to start soon so it doesn't drag on for so long.. (They say that every year, though 😂)

Top Bottom