pay rise lump sum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ours contracted review is June, annually. Normally, it's sorted by Christmas as the company thinks we're more likely to accept as we'll get the lump sum back pay in time for Santa. This time we only just got it by the end of the tax year 😂

Oh yes, the review periodically gets rescheduled to a later month.
After a decade you realise you've only had 8 or 9 "annual" salary reviews rather than 10. And some of them were 0% anyway...

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ours contracted review is June, annually. Normally, it's sorted by Christmas as the company thinks we're more likely to accept as we'll get the lump sum back pay in time for Santa. This time we only just got it by the end of the tax year 😂

we also get a lump sum end of july pay slip this our every year bonus , it varies every year dependant on how well the plant is doing for quality , direct run rates, and other factors to give us around another £ 7-900 which is handy as we have a shutdown in aug and having kids means we have to go on holiday then so spending money .

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Oh yes, the review periodically gets rescheduled to a later month.
After a decade you realise you've only had 8 or 9 "annual" salary reviews rather than 10. And some of them were 0% anyway...

My Fathers company used to do work for some serious International multi billion dollar companies. And my Dads company used to inform them of yearly pay increases. Every 10 months. No one ever queried, questioned or seemingly caught on 🤷‍♂️

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My Fathers company used to do work for some serious International multi billion dollar companies. And my Dads company used to inform them of yearly pay increases. Every 10 months. No one ever queried, questioned or seemingly caught on 🤷‍♂️
Now I understand the need for decimalisation.

midlife

Guru
Not really. They don't get the tax back that you pay. Even HMRC staff are taxed the same as the rest of us, and that tax goes into the general tax fund. HMRC don't get to keep it, they just collect on behalf of the government.

As my employer is the government (Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Mr Barclay), I would consider that if they give me a lump sum and take back more than half in tax...... then the tax does go back to the government. Not sure where else it can go.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As my employer is the government (Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Mr Barclay), I would consider that if they give me a lump sum and take back more than half in tax...... then the tax does go back to the government. Not sure where else it can go.

And in my case having a works email address that ends .GOV.UK shows who my paymaster is, hence my earlier reply.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
We got 6.5% plus a £500 one-off, plus the lowest pay band could jump through hoops* to get a £1000 uplift. Somehow this was portrayed by The Management as an average 11.2% increase for 4 out of the 5 pay bands, which was obviously total balderdash. It went to a vote and 90% accepted it. I smelt corporate lube and voted against.

*it's turned out that - guess what - far fewer qualified for it than expected.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Got a 7% deal over 2 years just before all this crap started. Thought it was ok, but realise now it was sh1te. Got a £1200 cost of living payment this year in January, had to pay tax and as stated by the OP soon gone. The union is currently in negotiations for this year which is due in November. It's getting dragged out, probably hoping inflation will fall. Probably get f'd over again, despite record profits :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

Zero here
That's twice as much as I got.

davidphilips

Veteran
Told by a cyclist yesterday that they get a pension increase every year set by the retail price index and that is lower than the rate of inflation so they are worse off every year,they told me they got over %10 rise this year and they are worse off.
So only my view but most if not all of us have less than last year and just have to accept wee are not as well of as last year no way my income has gone up %10 this year or anywhere near it but my out goings have increased by silly amounts.

midlife

Guru
Public sector pensions usually rise by RPI every year, used to be CPI but they changed a few years ago.

midlife

Guru
That sounds backwards. CPI is the more recent indicator, and has generally been replacing RPI for most things.

Sorry, I might be confused (as usual) The government chose the lowest between CPI and RPI as a measure of inflation to reduce pensions to save money. The pension increases used to be set at the higher of the two indices.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry, I might be confused (as usual) The government chose the lowest between CPI and RPI as a measure of inflation to reduce pensions to save money. The pension increases used to be set at the higher of the two indices.

At least there still is a pension, I fear for those retiring at 80 in about 50 years

Top Bottom