Paying your dept to society.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Whilst out walking around the local footpaths we are amazed by the amount of litter and rubbish people leave .
I have come up with an idea for all the people who break rules and or the law that don't deserve prison .
They should be made to pick up at least three times there bodyweight in rubbish as a way of paying their debt to society .

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Isn’t that what community service is?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why do you suppose there is so much rubbish?

Are we just scruffy or are there other factors? I've been to several European countries and only Ireland and Spain were as bad as here. Spain, was worse in fact.

A Swedish colleague said she thinks it's the British tendency to eat and snack on the move. Her observation: "you eat on trains, buses and planes, whilst walking in the park, whilst drive in the car. Why? Why not make time for a proper sit down meal."

She might have a point.

Zanelad

Guru
Many years ago workers from the nearby open prison woukd do work around the sailing club of which I was a member. The prison officers had a fishing club that made use of the lake. One summer's evening I'd opened the bar ready for that night's committee meeting when half a dozen hot and sweaty guys walked in to freshen up. I asked them what they'd been doing and they said that they'd been clearing the footpath around the lake. I poured them each a pint, on the house, as they look like they deserved one and for giving up their time. I was halfway through pouring them a 2nd one when three prison officers walked in. They were somewhat miffed that their charges were quaffing beer and eating crisps. Only then did I twig that the drinkers were prisoners. The officers let them finish their pints, and had a quick one themselves. The left and i heard them telling the inmates " not a farking word when we get back to the prison". I heard later from one of the officers who was on the committee that they had a marked increase in those volunteering for work parties at the club.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
On my bike ride there is a guy who goes out every day with his two jack russells and picks up litter from the hedgerows.

Unsung hero, no profit in it - compare that with some guy who lives in Monaco and gets paid very well for a living. Which is the more deserving?

classic33

Leg End Member
Its what it should be, but rearely is because its so shoddily run and administered.

We should have chain gangs doing useful work - allow potentially redeemable prisoners to earn some time off their sentence.
If given community service, that should be improving the local area, including litter picking.

It's not taking anyone's job away from them. Councils up and down the country say they can't afford to clean up such areas. Twenty people spending ten hours cleaning the one area, with the only outlay by the council being the transport for what's being picked...

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
East Riding council reckons it costs around £1500 per tonne of rubbish removed. Think a Goole Tory MP has been spouting about chain gangs. Better still if we all just stopped throwing it, and all went out once a week with a bin liner and a stick-with-a-nail-in-the-end.

Top Bottom